Two lessons learned in one season... Hmmm...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reg Braithwaite

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Well, here's my *second* lesson learned. As the title says, "hmmm..."

I went to Brockville, ON yesterday. For those who don't know it, we're talking limited visibility, wrecks, current, and a shipping channel. IMO, the "Advanced OW" certification with its single drift dive teaches you to know what kind of trouble you're in when you dive in Brockville, it doesn't qualify you to dive there.

I am still learning to dive safely there, I know I'm somewhere between "oblivious of how much trouble he's in" and "ok if held on a six foot leash."

My other challenge is that I have two very small children and my wife is a diver. So when I sneak off to dive, the rule is "Be safe, have fun, but not TOO MUCH FUN." She does not need to hear that she's missing some of the best diving on this or any continent :)

Anyhow, I think this contributes to my lesson learned. Toronto is 3 1/2 hours' drive from Brockville, so local dive shops usually do a weekend charter as two dives on Saturday afternoon, camp or hotel stay Saturday night in Brockville, two dives Sunday morning, and drive back Sunday afternoon.

Since I wanted to maximize my fun, instead of going with a local group, I called an operator in Brockville and signed up as a "walk on" for two dives Saturday morning departing at 9:00 and two more dives Saturday afternoon, departing at 2:00, then drove back last night.

So, was I really in my best condition to dive having woken up at 04:45? Was I fully alert on my fourth dive on the same day?

Before we get to the fourth dive, let me tell you about the afternoon charter. There was supposed to be a lesson of some kind run by the charter shop, but it got cancelled leaving myself and two other walk-ons as the only people on the trip. Thus, we're diving as a group of three. Hmmm number one.

One of the other guys is diving dry and doubles, with experience diving the St. Lawrence and Atlantic Canada. He sounded solid, but he had a video camera, which is another hmmm. I will call him "Mr. Doubles."

The other guy announces that he's a fish lover not a wreck lover, so "don't be surprised if I stop to watch a fish and ignore the wreck." Ok, that's not a hmm, but I must admit I envy his subcutaneous insulation: he's diving a short pants, no hood, no gloves. The water is 70F, but this is the first time I've seen anyone that comfortable in it. He's obviously as comfortable as a fish, so I will call him "Pisces." That, and every diving story needs a Bond-type character with a trick nickname.

We're scheduled to do two of the deeper rec dives in the afternoon, the Muscallonge and the Daryaw. It's no issue to the other guys, but ideally I'd have dived the deep ones in the morning and the mid-water wrecks in the afternoon. I don't know if that's a hmmm, I'll let my Suuntu Gecko tell me what's up.

We do the first wreck, and indeed Pisces chases them. Mr. Doubles and I wave our lights at him to try to keep us together, but he doesn't notice us so we end up fighting the current and following him around. He's not the type to look around and see if we're with him. Several times during the dive Mr. Doubles and I look at each other and exchange Gallic shrugs, then chase after him.

On the way up, Mr. Doubles and I do a mid stop together and Pisces goes straight up to the safety stop. We can all see each other on the mooring line, so ok. back on the boat, we have a talk and agree to watch for waving lights, especially because the sky is darkening and the Daryaw is upside down, which means we will have very limited visibility under the wreck.

Pisces suggests I lead, and he will follow. Ok. Mr. Doubles agrees, and points out that he is actually a little low on air, so he may have to bail and leave us to finish as a pair. I suggest that if he decides to bail he will tell us and we will all swim to the mooring line together, then once Pisces and I see him safely ascending, we will continue our dive.

That might be a hmmm, I will defer to wiser minds on that.

So we descend together and assemble on the rudder. They wave me forward and I head down to the deck (the ship is upside-down). When I reach the deck, I turn and see Pisces, no sign of Mr. Doubles. I signal that I don't see him, and Pisces looks around futilely. Damn! He probably bailed, but... We peer around the stern under the wreck with our lights, then I tell Pisces to come with me and we go back to the rudder. No sign of him. We look up the line. No sign of him. What to do?

I figure he's back on the boat, or he's drifted, or he's under the wreck somehow. He didn't pass me, so the only way to get there is to have gone down the other side. It's possible, so I head back under the wreck and we look around. Penetration is possible, but I'm not qualified to do that. Damn! And if he's in there, he's low on air. Double damn!!

Well, we head upstream to the bow without seeing him. I decided that's the best we can do, and we drift back onto the mooring line and return to the boat. On the way up I run into deco according to my computer. It wants me to do a higher stop, but I do three minutes mid water and then five minutes at 15'. It decides I'm clean after four minutes, so I return to the boat after five minutes and, fortunately, Mr. Doubles is waiting.

It turns out he had a camera leak as I headed down (from the rudder, right after flashing us the ok sign). He says he waved his light at Pisces, but no response, and he didn't want to go any deeper to grab me for fear of wrecking his camera(!).

Meanwhile I was not watching intently and didn't know one of us was missing until I reached the deck level. That, and it was my fourth dive, on not enough sleep, and I'm operating at 90'.

Comments? Don't be shy, we can all learn from a good drubbing :)

Last edited:
Hmmmm, you want a good "drubbing"?

Ok, your an idiot :D
Hows that?

Your profile says you have less than 50 dives under your belt, you have rec gear, and you went into deco. Now, its good that you at least waited to clear your computer, but not by much. You also did 4 deep square profiles from the sounds of it.

From the sounds of it, I would not even get in the water with "Pisces". This is not the area to dive in a shorty with no gloves. If you ever brush a zebra muscle you will know why real quick. Which sounds like it would have been good, as he did not even keep track of the other team members.

As for the last dive, you did not even come close to the plan, period. You did not keep track of your team members on the way down, and when one went missing you should have started to surface after a really quick look around.

Remember, you have a wife and 2 kids. Dive computers are only "models" of what "maybe" happening. You are not trained in deco, you don't have the gear for deco, DON'T even come close to deco.

So there ya go, now everyone can yell at me for my attitude.

you went into deco.

Yes, that completely caught me by surprise. When I started to ascend, the computer was not showing deco, it went into deco on the ascent. Which tells me... I was too close to the edge of the envelope, just as you say.

Bad.

when one went missing you should have started to surface after a really quick look around.

Yes. Also bad. Now that I think of it, the two bads are not entirely independent. Being close to the edge of deco or running low on air both imperil my ability to be a good buddy. That and actually--cough--paying attention to my buddies.

Your advice and feedback is appreciated. I don't detect any particular attitude in your response. But since you mention it, were you the one at the dock wearing the "At 200 feet, I don't have any friends" tee shirt?

The other two might not be any better than you but you were at least thoughtful about it. You appear to know exactly what you were doing wrong. Congratulations. Don't get caught up in this again. As fppf said, "You are not trained in deco, you don't have the gear for deco, DON'T even come close to deco."

No, I have not taken any tech courses yet. But I will always have a friend at 200 feet, my wife is my team.

The other two might not be any better than you but you were at least thoughtful about it.

In all fairness, Mr. Doubles and I had a chat on the way back to the dock, I am not going to speak for him, but I will say that he cares very much about things like this not happening again. And for all I know Pisces could be posting his own Lessons Learned elsewhere.

Don't get caught up in this again. As fppf said, "You are not trained in deco, you don't have the gear for deco, DON'T even come close to deco."

I'm 100% sold on this now. But that doesn't mean I don't want it rubbed in. I may just get a new vanity license plate reading NVRDECO.

Aw c'mon, give yourself a break, this is just typical insta-buddy stuff unfortunately. Made all the worse by having three in the group. :D

I'm sure you'll insist on more elaborate pre-dive planning and procedures with insta-buddies next time. Doesn't matter if they look more experienced than you or not. :wink:

Getting into deco might be a bit more of an experience issue of watching your computer and being aware of your situation. Now you know a bit more.

How much air did you have left when you got to the surface?

Dave C

I have to agree with Dave4868. If going into Deco took you as a surprise, you were not looking at your guages enough. I have a Suunto computer as well and it counts down your No Decompression time. And starting your ascent will not make you run out of time and put you into Deco. You were going into Deco before you started your ascent. So, you need to watch your guages far more as one part of the solution. Secondly, never sign up for the second 2 dives when they put you in a reverse profile until you have much more experience (never really a good idea in my opinion). You knew what you should have done, so it is a simple plan of doing what you know is right. Dive planning, buddy diving etc....all needs work but again you know it.

Aw c'mon, give yourself a break, this is just typical insta-buddy stuff unfortunately. Made all the worse by having three in the group. :D

I'm sure you'll insist on more elaborate pre-dive planning and procedures with insta-buddies next time. Doesn't matter if they look more experienced than you or not. :wink:

Well perhaps, but looking back at it, maybe it's reasonable that I didn't notice Mr. Doubles bailing as I descended from the rudder to the deck. The entire wreck lies in its own narrow groove, with walls on each side, the next time I am out there I will try to figure out if it's possible to get down there while simultaneously watching two buddies.

Getting into deco might be a bit more of an experience issue of watching your computer and being aware of your situation. Now you know a bit more.

Yeah, I noticed another comment that you can't get into deco on the ascent. I am going to replay the log and report back, I thought it went into deco as I did a mid-water stop, but it is difficult for me to claim that I made mistakes and simultaneously claim that I am 100% sure I didn't go into deco before the ascent.

What I can say for a fact is that I am going to pay a lot more attention to the cumulative nitrogen bar on the LHS of the Gecko's dial in future.

How much air did you have left when you got to the surface?

700 PSI at the surface.

....Yeah, I noticed another comment that you can't get into deco on the ascent.....

Maybe my post was unclear. You can go into Deco on ascent. What I was saying is that it was not the fact that you started your ascent that put you into Deco. If you were already close enough to your No Deco limit that your ascent did not "outrun" it, then your situation is the result (going into deco).

Having said all of this, it happened to me in Mexico (cozumel) once. My dives were reasonably shallow dives (typically 90 feet first dive and 60-70 feet second dive) and I did 4 days of 2 dive days and 2 days (at the end) of 4 dive days. The 4 dive days were much shallower in the afternoons (AVG of 35-45 feet). But, on my 4th day of diving my Cobra put me into an extended stop. It happens even if it should not. I now do not push my limits like that week (I also started diving Nitrox :D).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom