Two divers reported missing off Canterbury NZ coast found alive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dryglove

Contributor
Reaction score
Two divers reported missing off Canterbury coast found alive

Two divers missing off Banks Peninsula NZ have been found alive.

A search and rescue operation got under way on Sunday after police were notified when the two divers failed to return from their dive off Long Bay at about 2.20pm.

Both divers were located alive and are being taken back to Akaroa by boat.

Land Search and Rescue, along with other agencies including Coastguard and Maritime NZ were searching the area by sea and air, a police spokeswoman said.

Long Bay is south of Goughs Bay, east of Akaroa.

Nice.

PLBs are cheap.

One definite benefit of these diving accidents threads is how they cement the idea that these accidents do indeed happen, and how often. They have certainly made me think a lot harder about gear to increase visibility and what size water I’m willing to dive w/o a PLB.

Also, it is really nice to see a thread like this end with good news,

They have certainly made me think a lot harder about gear to increase visibility and what size water I’m willing to dive w/o a PLB.

Being lost at sea always concerned me far more than getting bent. I carried a Navy-issued double ended smoke/flair taped to my knife sheath until the Nautilus Lifeline and PLBs came on the scene.

upload_2021-5-7_14-30-46.png

I always seemed to spend more time diving out of sight of land or off small islands so the chances of getting "misplaced" was never a remote possibility on Scuba.

1. Crew should know the approximate diving time.
The recent tragic event in Kuching shown the search by the boat was at least an hr late after the supposed 30 mins dive. And they were so far out at sea that took them further couple of hrs to contact the authority and it was dark already.
2. Shoot the smb at safety stop. I do that most of the time.

One person I know even carried survival kit(high energy bar + water) in every dive(remote location only)

1. Crew should know the approximate diving time.
The recent tragic event in Kuching shown the search by the boat was at least an hr late after the supposed 30 mins dive. And they were so far out at sea that took them further couple of hrs to contact the authority and it was dark already.
2. Shoot the smb at safety stop. I do that most of the time.

One person I know even carried survival kit(high energy bar + water) in every dive(remote location only)
All of that sounds great. I wonder how much difference a pint or even a quart of water would make, but it'd be better than not having it.

Nothing beats an international network of satellites connected to Search & Rescue tho. If you're out of sight of land and drifting, it's a huge ocean. New Zealand with its rough terrain and long shoreline even has its own PLB Charity working with the local S&R resources. https://www.locatorbeacons.co.nz/
_0209253-HDR.webp

They sell PLBs programmed for New Zealand citizens. The new ACR 425 View with its fancy LED screen is $589NZD = $430USD. That's a lot more money than most divers want to spend, but it lasts for 5 years on standby = $1.65/week and take it anywhere on the surface - land and sea. If you have to use it the manufacture will replace it with a free one in exchange for a good story; they have a wall of trophy PLBs from successful rescues. My older model is over 5 years old, but I got the battery replaced and the unit refurbished for about $100 - good for another 5 years! I take it everywhere tho, hiking, farming, diving, or just driving. It goes well in my carry-on for flights so I'll have it when I arrive.

Oh, for diving you'd need a dive canister. I got the smaller one for $110, replace the o-ring annually, grease the o-ring often - but the larger one is the same price I think to carry your power bar, water bottle, foil blanket, etc. HDVSeatek Scuba Diver PLB Small Canister – WEAR IT AUSTRALIA!

The RescueME PLB is smaller and cheaper, and there are many older models like mine for sale. You'd need to have the battery replaced and the unit programmed for your country, but that's all doable. 90% of PLB alarms are false alarms so don't be one of those. Register your unit, learn how it works, and protect the activation button. They may not take an alarm seriously at first, but after some phone calls, they will go for you within the 24 hour strobe life. Or if your dive Op reports you missing, then they should match your name and go for you immediately.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom