Twin-tank BCD System

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alejanca

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hi all, am likely replacing the existing recreational BCD to a new that fit both recreational/pre-tech training with minimal components as possible. Both Halcyon and Xdeep caught my eye, knowing the former been rated the best always.

What you reckon between the Halcyon Evolve with 30/40 wing each comparing to the Xdeep Hydros/Zeos wing pair? Assuming aluminium backplate apple-to-apple. Any particular for the former worth doubling the price?

Thanks in advance!

The blue H is like the half-eaten apple, instantly doubles the price. Unlike the latter, though, I haven't found anything special about their products. Their harnesses don't last as long as Hollis (not sure if it bites more into the webbing or the webbing itself is less durable); the cinch can be useful, but isn't great; some of their other gear is rebranded from other manufacturers.

There certainly are particular cases where a particular Halcyon item is the best choice, but otherwise no reason to overpay for the brand. Xdeep and DGX offer very good BP/W systems.

As for the general decision to use a metal BP, it's the right way - they're more comfortable than soft ones due to stiffness, more robust and less buoyant than hard plastic.

Don’t even think about buying something that expensive yet Go diving and make sure you like the sport first.

Here is a poste I wrote
First dive with bp wing and doubles
May I suggest if your going tech your going to eventually switch to bp and wing so why not do it now skip a step and get used to it right away
True I'm replacing with bp and wing set. Except I'll need an extra wing for recreational use. Buddies are mostly recreational divers thus no point to do twin tank alone. TIA

The blue H is like the half-eaten apple, instantly doubles the price. Unlike the latter, though, I haven't found anything special about their products. Their harnesses don't last as long as Hollis (not sure if it bites more into the webbing or the webbing itself is less durable); the cinch can be useful, but isn't great; some of their other gear is rebranded from other manufacturers.

There certainly are particular cases where a particular Halcyon item is the best choice, but otherwise no reason to overpay for the brand. Xdeep and DGX offer very good BP/W systems.

As for the general decision to use a metal BP, it's the right way - they're more comfortable than soft ones due to stiffness, more robust and less buoyant than hard plastic.

Cheers Blasto! Much agree with your "half-eaten apple". Still found no solid supporting doubling the price. Actually not easy to find DGX here. Am very likely to for the X... TIA

Don’t even think about buying something that expensive yet Go diving and make sure you like the sport first.

I definitely love it and so no worry buddy. TIA

Back
Top Bottom