TWARS (This Week at Reef Seekers) - April 3-10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ken Kurtis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
April Fools, new fish (no foolin'), and more
(please scroll down for details)

It's been a rather busy week . . .

APRIL FOOLS - As many of you know, April 1 is one of my favorite days. A lot of it stems back from my radio days when we'd try to come up with a great on-air prank. (Remind me to tell you about "The Equal Speed Law" sometime.) So hopefully you enjoyed the writing and maybe for just a nano-second went, "What the hell????" It gets harder and harder to write these each year and hope to actually "catch" you but that's half the challenge on my end. Anyhow, another April Fools under the belt.

CHAMBER DAY 2022 IS A MONTH AWAY - Wednesday, May 4, is the date. As you may know, for years Reef Seekers has acted as Chamber Day HQ and I've served as chairman of the event. So things are definitely perking along now that I'm back from the Mexico Socorro trip. A couple of items to note:
• We had two cancellations at our Ch-Eve table so have 2 seats available
• We've got plenty of room at our virtual Ch-Eve table
• We're not an official boat sponsor this year but would encourage those of you thinking
about diving the event to look at the boats available
• We'd highly encourage you to sign up for the Flying Dutchman if you can't dive that day
• When you do, make sure you list "Reef Seekers" as your Dutchman crew affiliation
• And if you can throw an extra $100 or so the Chamber's way, please do the Challenge

TABLES & COMPUTERS THIS WEDNESDAY - I can't tell you how often I've been on a boat or at the U/W Park and had someone ask me to explain to them what their computer is telling them. I freely admit to being a dinosaur who LOVES teaching tables and then seguing that knowledge/info into understanding what the computer is telling you. And that's why we offer the "Easy Tables & Computers" class every few months and on top of that, it's FREE. The bottom line is all of this is that misusing or not understanding your computer through ignorance can create some serious issues for you. So it pays to know what you're looking at. This FREE class is done via Zoom so if you're interested, give us a call at 310/652-4990 to register and then we'll see you this Wednesday evening.

NEW FISH DISCOVERED - It's estimated that maybe 20% of the world's oceans have been explored. So it's not surprising when you hear that something new has been learned about the ocean. And even though it's not surprising, that doesn't mean it isn't exciting. So it was way cool to learn last month that a brand new fish has been found in the Maldives. They're calling it the Rose-Veiled Fairy Wrasse And he's a cutie. Granted, he lives just outside of recreational depths (131-229 feet deep) but it's but he's got some gorgeous coloration which may seem a bit unusual for a fish living at deeper depths, since there will be less light there in general. But the Maldivean waters are pretty clear for the most part, so that may not be an issue here. You can learn more about this through this article: RAINBOW WRASSE IN THE MALDIVES.

And that'll do it for now. Have a great week and let's go diving soon!!!

- Ken​

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom