Tvr 900

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
A friend of mine is just about to go and buy a Video camera and under water Housing.

He is plan at the moment is to buy the TVR900 together with the Ikelite Housing.

His reasoning is that they are both good value.

He has owned camcorders a while before but it was for work rather than pleasure and I think he would best describe himself as a point and shoot photographer.

Any comments sudjestions would be appreciated and passed on to him.

Whether they are about the equipment he likes or alternatives.

Regards

Most UW videographers regard the TRV900 one of the best one's for UW video, especially considering the price.

You may want to ask your friend to look around at different housings for the camera, there are several, both with manual controls and electronic controls.

Check out these manufacturers (no particular order):

/Mike
DiverGuy.com

It too am looking to upgrade my video setup to a three chip camera and was looking at the TRV900 as it isa cheaper and less bulky option than the VX2000.

Couple of things to bear in mind are:-

1. Sony no longer manufacture the TRV900 it has apparently been replaced by the TRV950 which has not been launched yet. Having said that there are loads of TRV900's out there so repairs shouldn't be a problem but getting a replacement if you are unlucky enough to flood may start to get a bit tricky.

2. Unless I am mistaken, although the Ikelite housing is very cost effective, I think the fact that you cannot see the LCD screen whilst shooting underwater is a bit of a draw back and again if I am correct you cannot fit an external monitor to the Ikelite housing.

I currently use a Canon MV1 in an amphibico housing and have been very happy with Amphibico products. If I end up going with the TRV900 myself I will certainly use their housing.

MarkW

I'm still using the VX1000. I've used Amphibico, Ocean Images, and Ikelite video housings over the last 5 years.

If you want the most features and have a lot of money to spend, the Amphibico is the best. I'm not sure about their TRV950 housing specifically. The VX1000 housing is nice, but the hydrophones go out in a couple of years. I've heard some complaints about the VX2000 housing from a couple of people that got early ones. The manual aperture control slips and the external super-wide bayonet mount lens easily breaks out of the mounting system. I'm hoping these are fixed in the later revs of the housing.

If you want the reliability of a mechanical housing and good value w/ excellent service, I would recommend Ikelite. Contrary to what others have said, from much experience I can tell you it is easier to see the view finder in an Ikelite housing w/ the SuperEye than it is to see the view finder through the amphibico housing. However, you have the option with the amphibico housing to attach a large hot-shoe-mounted external monitor. It's nice... if you can afford another $800 investment. The believe Ikelite housing is rated to 200fsw and the Amphibico to 330fsw.

What you should consider is what do you require and how much depreciation can you afford to stomach. Are you going to dive deeper than 200fsw? Do you want to spend $4k on a housing for a $2k camera that will be obsolete in 4 years, or would you rather spend $1100 on a housing?

Brian

I'm still using my old 1000 in an Iklite housing and went Ikelite for the very reason mentioned above - the price of alternative housings for a camera I knew I would upgrade. At this point I am really looking at moving onto the 950 because of the size issues of a housed 1000 - at least with my Ikelite housing. Even with 2 video lites and 2 batteries it is slightly bouyant to at least 60 feet or so, so I have an ankle weight around the base just to keep it close to neutral. That and the large profile aren't ideal for what I'd like, but I am pleased enough that I am not gonna run out and upgrade just to upgrade.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom