Tussey for Nikon F3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

analogous

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hello! I have been scouring the internet for anyone with one of these Tussey housings, I purchased my housing to do surf and other underwater photo work, as I'm a big user of film, an avid surfer, and love my F3. After quite a few trips to the local hardware store for O-rings and many measurements later, I brought this marvel back to life and successfully ocean tested it today! I've always wanted a Nikonos, but this seems more practical from a camera safety and maintenance perspective for my goals. Unfortunately, these things are like ghosts, and don't seem to come around often, aside from a few images and someone who rents one out of the UK.

I was hoping someone would be willing to share some information about the housing and its components, as mine didn't come with any of the proprietary hardware that mounts to the camera itself, just everything housing related. Plus no information or a manual or anything... I managed to 3D print a focus ring that works great, though, and will get me in the water using a pre-set aperture and aperture-priority mode. Ideally, though, I'd have the shutter speed and aperture hardware to adjust those in the water, but haven't seen any to use as a reference to have one fabricated or printed. Would anyone be willing to share some photos of your setup and its hardware for reference so that I can make it or have it made? I know someone has to have one out there collecting dust (or hopefully not!)

Also, mind the through-hull sealant around the viewfinder and lens port. They didn't really design this thing with ease of long-term care, and I have been hesitant to try prying out the acrylic ports to replace the static o-rings. Is this something even feasible to do?

Any information is HUGELY appreciated!

Cheers,

Attachments

• IMG_6019.JPG
    IMG_6019.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_6020.JPG
    IMG_6020.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_6021.JPG
    IMG_6021.JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_6024.jpg
    IMG_6024.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_6025.JPG
    IMG_6025.JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_6026.JPG
    IMG_6026.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_6027.JPG
    IMG_6027.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 114
@Searcaigh I see that you have mentioned your Tussey housing in previous posts, what's been your experience with it, and updating/maintaining it through the years?

Hi @analogous

I haven't used this housing since I turned digital around 2003/4.

What I loved about this set up with the F3 was the large viewfinder, which is about the size of a 35mm slide, and it was so easy to focus. I primarily used it with the 60mm micro lens and occasionally with a 35mm lens.

A good friend of mine during my time in Saudi made various focus rings for different lenses for me, and I still have everything in a box.

It's a damn heavy housing though and I used it before any floaty strobe arms were on the market.

However, I really can't imagine using it to photograph surfing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom