Tusa=ScubaPro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sealskin98

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've heard that Tusa is similar in construction to ScubaPro regs., and was wondering about an old reg. I have.

I have an old Tusa reg. that was given to me and I haven't been able to find much info. on it. Did a Google search and didn't come up with anything.

The first stage is marked TR-32XXX (serial number I guess) and has 2 hp ports on the body and 4 lp ports on the swivel "head" part, and the yoke is marked 4000 psi service.

The 2nd stage is plastic, marked Liberator, is light purple in color (wife says it's lavender) and the front cover is dark gray (almost black) with a lavender purge button. There are no external adjustments.

The yellow console boot has the old Tabata spg and liquid filled depth gauge.

It works just fine and I had it serviced last year with no problem, but didn't ask the tech. any questions about it at that time.

Could someone give me any technical or other info. about this reg.?

Pics

Thanks for any info.

Tabata manfactures Subapro's designs. It's a common arrangement in the scuba industry that avoids the need for every company to develop state of the art dedicated manufacturing facilities that would inevitably be under utilized.

TUSA is the short version of Tabata USA and it's no surpise that they sell regs made to scubapro design specs under liocence with only minor cosmetic changes. TUSA sold a copy of the MK 5 and still sells a copy of the MK 16. However Tabata also makes other companies regs as well so they also sell other licensed copies.

I am not sure what the origins of your reg may have been, but it;s not a MK 5, MK 16or any other SP reg clone.

Which SP model does the Tusa RS-130 model after?

triton013:
Mk 16 R 390.

No, the Mk16 is a diaphragm, the RS130 is a balanced piston. The 130 is unique to Tusa. And probably the best breathing reg in it's price range that comes with a full lifetime warranty. You will see several items that are really the same between the two companies, but that reg is not one of them. For example, the IR3 octo inflator is really the same as the scuba pro octo inflator... just one has square gray buttons, one has round blue ones. Both made in the same factory in Italy, then distributed through tusa and scubapro.

Thanks Larry. My brother, niece and nephew all bought the RS-130s from you and have put a lot of hours on them. I have used them as well and was really impressed how well they work for such an inexpensive regulator. I just assumed it must be an old SP model to be that good. My daughter and I still dig our Oceanic Delta 3 titanum setups we bought from you a lot better though:D

Scubapro makes the regs for Tusa not the other way around.

DA you have it backwards.

It is a TR-200 1st stage. Which was made throughout the 90's. I have copies of the catalogs if you so desire. They work on them at Divers Paridise in Webster, Tx. He has all the parts in stock too.

Jarrett:
Which SP model does the Tusa RS-130 model after?
triton013:
Mk 16 R 390.
The RS-460 is the only current SP clone marketed by TUSA and it is a MK 16 R390 clone.

cerich:
Scubapro makes the regs for Tusa not the other way around.

DA you have it backwards.
No...I don't. Tabata owns the manufacturing facilities, not Scubapro. Although that is a very unpopular statement to make.

DA Aquamaster:
The RS-460 is the only current SP clone marketed by TUSA and it is a MK 16 R390 clone.

No...I don't. Tabata owns the manufacturing facilities, not Scubapro. Although that is a very unpopular statement to make.

I was 100 % sure it is Scubapro's facility in Santa Margehita (Spelling?), very close to the Mares facility in Rapollo. Tusa's Duo Air is also a SP clone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom