Turtle Alley

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am certainly asking my Op for next week about going.

Dandy Don, will be looking forward to seeing if you can make the arrangements and if you do the dive, hearing about your experience.
Haha my trip reports oft go on and on for a week of updates. PM in 2 weeks if you'd like.

I am certainly asking my Op for next week about going.
I remember hearing something a while back about a controversy between ops on Cozumel and ops on the mainland being upset by cross channel dive trips. What I heard was that they came to an agreement that both would stay on their own side of the channel.

I remember hearing something a while back about a controversy between ops on Cozumel and ops on the mainland being upset by cross channel dive trips. What I heard was that they came to an agreement that both would stay on their own side of the channel.
I have been trying to imagine all of the dive ops on Coz agreeing on anything, much less that. It's difficult for me to believe, altho some of them might have - and you can hear anything....!
Dandy Don, will be looking forward to seeing if you can make the arrangements and if you do the dive, hearing about your experience.
I don't know if the weather will allow us, but I already have approval from Scuba Mau. Excerpting from an email...
We have no problem going to the north or the otherside (playa) for the tortugas site, we love it there!
I'll let you know if we make it but if the channel is choppy, it's too hard in a small boat I know. I did not ask about extra charges, probly takes more gas, but better than the time we stayed in PDC to dive with a local shop who forgot to take us where we asked - and yeah we had the whole boat paid for.

I did not ask about extra charges, probly takes more gas, but better than the time we stayed in PDC to dive with a local shop who forgot to take us where we asked - and yeah we had the whole boat paid for.

I have never been charged extra for this trip by either op I used. I don't think it's much further than heading to the far south end of the island.

I have never been charged extra for this trip by either op I used. I don't think it's much further than heading to the far south end of the island.
Well, it's all the way across, then the same back to a middle dive site, plus the trip form the middle site to the dock - so I would accept if they wanted more gas money, but then I'm getting the cheapest base rates on the island so I don't mind paying for requests that might costs extra. And it may not.

The one time I dived it, the current was screaming! No walls or reefs, just sand bottom and turtles munching on sponges - me shooting pics as I passed. From the direction the current hits the island and the channel, I guess that is the norm...?

These pics were Apr 2006. I hope my shooting and computer editing skills are better now...

Attachments

• 03-15[1].jpg
    03-15[1].jpg
    200 KB · Views: 29
  • 03-16[1].jpg
    03-16[1].jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 03-18[1].jpg
    03-18[1].jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 03-21-1[1].jpg
    03-21-1[1].jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 03-22-1[1].jpg
    03-22-1[1].jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 27
I'll let you know if we make it but if the channel is choppy, it's too hard in a small boat I know. I did not ask about extra charges, probly takes more gas...
Actually, it's a quite a bit shorter boat ride from, say, Blue Angel to the mainland than it is from BA to Colombia Reef.

Well, it's all the way across, then the same back to a middle dive site, plus the trip form the middle site to the dock - so I would accept if they wanted more gas money, but then I'm getting the cheapest base rates on the island so I don't mind paying for requests that might costs extra. And it may not.

The one time I dived it, the current was screaming! No walls or reefs, just sand bottom and turtles munching on sponges - me shooting pics as I passed. From the direction the current hits the island and the channel, I guess that is the norm...?

Pretty much every time I have dived there (except once) we did both dives on the mainland side. Current is usually pretty strong at Tortugas but not as fast as I've seen at Barracuda on occasion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom