Turneffe Island or Thatch Caye Resort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

War Eagle Diver

Registered
Reaction score
Nashville, TN for 11 months a year, 1 month a year
# of dives
25 - 49
The girlfriend and I are likely heading to Belize sometime in the March - June window and I was just curious which of these resorts you all would recommend? We are looking for some great diving and I realize that both are islands so topside activities will likely be restricted to reading and relaxing. I was hoping to try and time it around Whale Shark season (Maybe the very top of my bucket list) but I am not sure if that will be possible or if the Whale Sharks are feasibly reachable from Turneffe.

Can't wait to hear everyone's recommendations as you guys and gals have never steered me wrong.

-John

No Whale Sharks at Turneffe so it looks like Thatch Caye is your better choice.

If you stay there, please post a trip report. I don't think I've ever seen a TC trip report, and I'd be interested in hearing about your experience.

Hatchet Caye Resort is also down that way. I've never been there, but we would pass by it occasionally and the place looked pretty sweet.

Thanks Downing!

What are your thoughts on Turneffe vs. Ambergris Caye? I posted a separate thread about the costs of Turneffe vs somewhere else where overall TIR is going to be around $12,000 for 4 of us, versus being able to rent a private home on AC for around $5000 for a week max. Is it worth the cost difference? Just curious.

I love Portland by the way. Have a good friend from college who moved out there after school and the Pacific NW is something else. The air is so clean!

Thanks again for your advice.

-John

It really depends on what you and your group are looking for.

AC is by far where most of the divers go so it has more of everything as in places to stay, to eat, nightlife, dive ops etc. I've never been but there are plenty of repeat divers who love it and never go anywhere else.

The three resorts out on the atoll are more about a small tropical island experience. No cars, telephones and televisions. Meals, lodging and diving are necessarily within a very short walking distance and, as someone else said, staying there is like summer camp for adults. Sleep, eat, dive and relax in a tropical island paradise setting. Rinse and repeat until it's time to go home.

If you have trouble deciding, I suggest you keep in mind that this doesn't have to be your only trip to Belize. You'll have a great time whichever you choose and you can always go somewhere else next time.

Keep in mind, there's always Placencia and southern Belize. I enjoyed it so much last summer that I'm headed back again this May/June for another crack at the Whale Sharks plus I'm finally going to track down Hank, assuming he doesn't flee the country again.

Thanks for the nice words about Stumptown, but we're definitely in the dreary part of the year with the never ending drizzle and only a scattered sunny days. Only five more months till summer...

My husband and I went to Belize and stayed at Turneffe Flats in Feb 09 for a week and had a wonderful time with some superb diving. Since we have been there they have done renovations to the rooms as well as added a pool. The food was great - you eat family style and at first we were not looking forward to that meal style but in the end we really enjoyed it. Very low key and relaxed without a bunch of people around, which is our style. 3 boat dives a day and they pack you a lunch to bring along. About 2 hours to the Blue Hole and lighthouse reef, well worth it. WHile we were there we got lucky and most other guests were fishermen so we had the dive boat to share with one other couple. Small groups and wonderful employees. We made friends while we were there and actually are meeting up with one in Fiji in a couple weeks! We have said many times that we can't wait to get back there someday and we definately will. www.tflats.com
Whatever you decide have a wonderful trip!

My husband and I went to Belize and stayed at Turneffe Flats in Feb 09 for a week and had a wonderful time with some superb diving. Since we have been there they have done renovations to the rooms as well as added a pool. The food was great - you eat family style and at first we were not looking forward to that meal style but in the end we really enjoyed it. Very low key and relaxed without a bunch of people around, which is our style. 3 boat dives a day and they pack you a lunch to bring along. About 2 hours to the Blue Hole and lighthouse reef, well worth it. WHile we were there we got lucky and most other guests were fishermen so we had the dive boat to share with one other couple. Small groups and wonderful employees. We made friends while we were there and actually are meeting up with one in Fiji in a couple weeks! We have said many times that we can't wait to get back there someday and we definately will. www.tflats.com
Whatever you decide have a wonderful trip!

Sounds very much like the trip my wife and I made to the Flats a couple of years ago, only we were the only two divers there, and it was fantastic! The dive guide took us to places he said he hadn't been able to dive in years. We were there just before they put the pool in and made some of the upgrades, and can't wait to get back (we keep watching for the two for one divers specials).

Probably the main thing to be aware of is that once you're on Turneffe you'll be there for the duration, with little or no opportunity to visit elsewhere. Thatch Caye offers much the same experience as Turneffe, with local diving being different but equally good and the same diving available from Turneffe also available to you, but TCR is only 9 miles offshore and they have their own vehicles on land, so trips to ruins, markets etc are simple.

Thanks so much for everyone's advice. We decided to go with Turneffe this time around. We are going May 5th - 12th if anyone else ends up there during that time say hey. I am actually a hair worried about going stir crazy with nothing to do other than relax and dive but at the same time that might just be the type of trip I need! I will definitely post a trip report after we go.

Thanks so much for everyone's advice. We decided to go with Turneffe this time around. We are going May 5th - 12th if anyone else ends up there during that time say hey. I am actually a hair worried about going stir crazy with nothing to do other than relax and dive but at the same time that might just be the type of trip I need! I will definitely post a trip report after we go.

If you are going to the Flats, the three dives per day will fill up most of your "spare" time, with a break for lunch. At night it can get a little quiet, but then we were so worn out from diving three tanks during the day that we didn't really notice it. Take a couple of books that you've been meaning to read - we did, and I still think I need to finish the first one, sleep came pretty easy right after the great dinners we were served.

Enjoy, and let us know how it goes.

Be sure to write a trip report when you return, please.

With three dives a day you definitely won't go stir crazy plus there's the night dive and the (optional) night tour of the cayes in search of crocs. Watch out for the desserts, especially Grandma's Chocolate Heaven. :D

Back
Top Bottom