Turneffe Flats

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cstreu1026

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just got an email about a 2 for 1 deal for diving at Turneffe Flats Resort. It looks like they cater mostly to fishing but the few references on here were good ones. Has anyone been recently?

My wife and I were there a couple of years ago, and your initial assumption is correct. For a week, we were the only two divers at the resort, along with about eight or ten fishers.

That said, being the only two divers, we had a boat, captain, and dive guide all to ourselves, and they took us to places that the dive guide told us he normally didn't get to dive with larger groups. We dove sites off the Northern end, both on the West and East sides (one site, the Terrace, is one of the most memorable dives in my experience), as well as some of the more commonly known sites along the Southern part of the caye, including the Blue Hole. Every day was three tanks. Unfortunately, from what we gather, that dive guide and boat captain are no longer at the Flats, but one would assume that shouldn't change the diving that much, and we would go back if the timing worked out.

Menu options are limited (although they did try to cater to my wife's vegetarian expectations - which we let them know about when we booked), they turn off the electricity to the rooms during the day (so they could get a little stuffy until the evening breezes kicked in and the A/C came back on), and you are on the island to stay (no opportunities for off-site excursions).

Due to the access to some relatively remote dive sites, we highly recommend it as a dive destination, and the two for one deal makes it just that much more attractive.

What were the accomadations like?

Rooms were okay, spartan but well-maintained. Beds were comfortable. Nice porch on the front (at least ours was) with a view of the beach area. Resort and grounds are very well kept, and the staff takes a lot of pride in its appearance. Good group of folks, very helpful.

Dining is family-style in the always air-conditioned main building (where you could escape during the day if you wanted to get out of your room).

Turneffe Flats has a promotional DVD that they'll be happy to send you. It's on their website. I've never stayed there, but I did get the DVD just for kicks. It'll give you a pretty good feel for the place.

There are three resorts on the Turneffe Atoll, along with some fishing camps. Turneffe Flats is to the north, Turneffe Island Resort to the south and Blackbird Caye Resort in between. I've only stayed at TIR, but based on what I've read my understanding is that all three were originally fishing lodges that at some point branched out into diving as well. For whatever reason, Turneffe Flats continues to be mostly about the fishing but the diving reviews from there are good.

In terms of accomodations, my impression is that TIL's are probably the nicest--and they let you control the A/C but ask that you turn it off when you're not there--but that's not to say the accomodations aren't more than adequate at the other two.

I remember reading some complaints about the food at TF but that was from a couple of years ago. I thought TIR's was great and ended up having to cut back the second week I was there as I could feel the pounds starting to pile on. Family style dining is the norm at all three, I believe. It's the sort of thing that seems like it could be weird, but after you get there you make friends with everyone and meals are a great time to socialize. Chances are that even if they had private tables after a day or two the guests would be moving them together so they could eat together and talk. It's just that kind of atmosphere.

We dove sites off the Northern end, both on the West and East sides (one site, the Terrace, is one of the most memorable dives in my experience), as well as some of the more commonly known sites along the Southern part of the caye, including the Blue Hole

I'm a bit confused. Is there a Blue Hole at Turneffe? Or are you mixing staying on Turneffe with diving on Lighthouse?

Actually, Peter, the owners of the three Turneffe resorts got together and had the Blue Hole towed from its original location to closer to the Atoll.

Saves on gas.

I'm surprised you didn't hear about it.

:)

Last edited:
I'm a bit confused. Is there a Blue Hole at Turneffe? Or are you mixing staying on Turneffe with diving on Lighthouse?

Mark me down five points for generalization.

:mooner:

do you want to team up and take advantage of this deal? i'm a solo traveller... looking at the weeks of July 29th through august 12th... :) lemme know.

I was there last year and am thinking about doing another week the end of August this year. We had a fabulous time with great diving and excellent food, and service that was the best I have ever had anywhere. I had previously dove with Alex Edwards, the DM, at another Belizean resort. SO I knew ahead of time what kind of treatment to expect. Our captain was Charles, also a DM,he was great too. I can't say enough good things about this place. Yes it is remote, the food is top flight. the dives are magnificent. I have now dove most of the Turneffe Atoll, been to the Blue Hole and Lighthouse area twice, and been up and down the barrier reef in the mid zone out of Belize City many times over the past 4 years. Cozumel and the Cayman (grand) can't compare. BTW anyone looking to go between Aug25 and Sept 8th? I'm looking for a second to save the single supplement.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom