Turned upside down

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Welcome to diving...thick wetsuits..:D

You will not need as much weight down south as you would in the blistering cold with a thick 14mm wetsuit. It will depend what gear your going to be using...wetsuit, BC, booties..etc...Hard to determine with out knowing your configuration

How much weight did you use last time your wore a 3 -5 mm? Rental gear or your own? New or used...New suit tend to be very bouyant until it gets abused abit...New neoprean needs to be broken in or CRUSHED. You will notice a difference after a few dives on new suits...You may need more weght the first few dives...but do not over do it.

But again...hard to determine without seeing you in the water.

If you can get in the pool with what you will be diving with. Have someone with you to lend a hand. Remember salt water, you will need a bit more lead.

Have fun

waynel:
We are cowards when it comes to cold. Believe it or not we are bringing 5 mil full suits for 78 water temp.

When I dove Cozumel in a (rental) 3 mil full suit I was cold. If I go there again I'll bring my 7-6-5 and/or my 3 mil full plus 3 mil shortie to wear together.

I dove in Hawaii last fall and I was cold in my 3 mil full at the end of the second dive every time.

So, you're not alone.

As far as the upside down stuff goes, I find that when I'm in the quarry in my 7-6-5 doing my safety stop at the end of the dive, I tend to turn toes up. I've found that when I exhale, the feet go up and when I inhale, the feet begin to come down. I kind of enjoy it- it's good practice. Hey- if you can maintain your "spot" while inverting you're doing pretty good right? Just ask Notsoken- he's seen me turning topsy turvy. It only happens when I'm not trying :) .

But if you can't hold yourself on the line there's something wrong. Maybe you should try some ankle weights- I don't use them (since my only "feet up" issue seems to be in the quarry when I'm just hanging silly), but that should take care up the upside down fears.

trucker girl:
... (since my only "feet up" issue seems to be in the quarry when I'm just hanging silly), but that should take care up the upside down fears.

that sounds like one of the best ideas I've heard of for passing the time at the quarry safety stop!! (aside from throwing the bowling ball @ Gilboa)

:D

k4man:
that sounds like one of the best ideas I've heard of for passing the time at the quarry safety stop!! (aside from throwing the bowling ball @ Gilboa)

:D

Doesn't the bowling ball now have a note that says "do not move" on it? I'm afraid to play with it- I mean, modified volley ball aside, it ain't mine!

And the truly best "pass the time" idea goes to the ISOSAD crowd (of which I am a proud member)! Underwater Uno RULES!

But tippy toes to the surface is definitely more fun than watching the mussels open and close!

waynel:
Emeral Dolphin

Good! They can give you some personalized attention. Make sure you tell them about your concerns, but try to get as much as possible ironed out beforehand!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom