Turks & Caicos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CGADivebum

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We planing a family vacation for the spring of 2013. We are looking at the Turks & Caicos. It will be me, my wife and two daughters (ages 10 and 6). We are looking for a nice resort with beaches and lots of activities for the whole family. We all love the water and the whole family snorkels well. I will be looking to sneak away for a little diving myself though. If anyone has suggestions or reccomendations on where to stay and what to do please send em' my way.
Thanks all,

Can't comment on the accommodations, but for diving I would highly recommend Caicos Adventures. The "Caicos Cat" is such a great dive platform and Fifi, Asa and the entire crew know their stuff. They will get you to West Caicos, French Cay which both have AWESOME walls and great life!

I also chose Caicos Adventures and was happy with them--nice crew, organized boat, good sites, the company of experienced divers (at least when I went). Sandwiches, water and lemonade provided. We dove more or less as a group (I was also a solo diver), turning around based on when the heavier breathers hit their half mark. We were welcome to hang around beneath the boat longer (easy to see with the fantastic viz), but dives ended up being in the neighborhood of an hour. If I have anything resembling a complaint, it's that I would have liked a little more time down there. But I enjoyed diving with them very much. And they had Nitrox; Club Med did not.

We talked to people who went with Dive Provo, and their experiences seemed similar, and they were happy with them. I was at Club Med (not an option for you with kids) and decided to use their dive operation for the first day. They told me that the diving would "not necessarily be better" with another operator, and that diving elsewhere would suck up most of the day. This is because they, like a lot of resort ops, mostly dove Grace Bay. Granted, I only experienced two Grace Bay reefs, but I found them much inferior to the West Caicos spots I visited with Caicos Adventures. Both Dive Provo and Caicos Adventures have vans or buses they send to the resorts to pick up guests. I assume the other desirable ops do as well. It's not a long drive to their docks, and I was usually back at the resort at around 3 pm. And if you pick the right resort, your family probably won't have even missed you much.

As something to do, we rented bikes one day. Not sure if that's a great idea with young children. We met someone who hired a cab for a couple of hours--I think it sort of turned into a "houses of the rich and famous" type tour. I would have liked to have gotten to know the island better, though the bike ride to Turtle Bay helped a bit.

If you want some where in the TCI to entertain a family and with free diving thrown in the best choice is Beaches.

If you want some where in the TCI to entertain a family and with free diving thrown in the best choice is Beaches.

Beaches is closer to coral gardens, the only snorkeling on Grace Bay, but on our trips we've preferred The Sands for a more condo-like experience with a lot more space to yourself on the beach. Of course, you have said you're thinking of turks but didn't specify provo...but everyone's assuming with kids that age you want to spend significant time on Grace Bay.

At the Sands, the units have complete kitchens so what we usually do is buy food for half our meals in the unit and eat the rest at the restaurant at the sands and the one or two restaurants a short jaunt down the beach.

Osric

Thanks all for all of the advise. We actually looked at Beaches but we also like our privacy so I may take a look at Sands. Both kids like water parks and attractions but we have those in VA in the summertime. Weaised em right so the ocean and the beach are their favorite playground. Thanks again,

Also recommend Caicos Adventures. Have stayed at Beaches and not for us (worst stretch of beach on the island as it is VERY narrow and busy, BIG resort and expensive for what you get). Have also stayed at the Sands and it's a little busy for us since we don't have kids but the Sands seems to be a good resort for families. If you're looking for ocean view rooms, it can be a tough resort since many of the rooms/buildings are set back far from the ocean. Otherwise it's a decent place.

For more upscale and bigger place, Grace Bay Club is nice. On the smaller side of things we have had god stays at the Beach House (nice, quiet stretch of beach) and Villa Renaisance (mid to upscale but not too big)

Back
Top Bottom