Turks & Caicos Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skinfish

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just returned this week from TCI & dove with Caicos Adventures. Fifi was gone while I was there, picking up his new boat in Florida. Somewhat disappointing because I wanted to meet the "Legend". Another big disappointment was the Caicos Cat was laid up on a reef in late January and is still laid up. It hasn't gone back to the shipyard yet to be fixed. This was definitely disappointing because of the fact that I was built up to dive on this great boat, the Caicos Cat, and CA never told me that it was laid up over two months prior & not seaworthy. I think they need to let their customers know when something like this happens to set expectations. We dove on the Hercules everyday, which wasn't bad but was pretty crowded with 11 divers & 3 DM's. The third day, CA rented a larger boat from Dive Provo, which was much nicer with a great deal more room.

When I was inquiring with CA before making the reservation, I made it clear how bad I wanted to get a night dive together. Donna said if they get 6 people together, we would go on one. She said she would do all she could to get one together while I was there. Donna was gone with Fifi while i was there and when I tried to get a night dive together, there was absolutely zero interest from the boat captain & the woman behind the counter. I told him I believed I had 6 people for a night dive and he just said, "No, we won't be doing one". There was such a gung ho attitude about really working to put a night dive together before I made my reservation but once there and set up with a 3 day package, there was no interest. I found later that CA hadn't done a night dive trip since January so it didn't appear to be something they enjoyed doing.

The DM's were great and made the trip better but the diving wasn't as good as I had heard or expected. I always say when you set expectations, be prepared to be disappointed and I was for the first two dives. My next 4 dives over the following 2 days were better but I cannot say that the diving was any better than what I had experienced in Cozumel last year, maybe not as good.

The vis was not great, 70 feet the first two days and about 40-50 the third day. The water was warm but you definitely need a wetsuit because even with one (2 mil shorty), it was cold by the end of the second dive.

First 2 dives were at West Caicos, The Anchor and The Gulley. Both were ok but I found the walls to be devoid of life, which was disappointing. The walls themselves are beautiful with the large coral and sponges covering them. Nothing in the big blue either, which I guess I expected from all of the talk & reading I had done of the abundance of pelagics here. I suppose that is always hit or miss. The standard Caribbean fish on top of the wall, which was much livelier than the wall itself. Scattered coral heads in about 40-50 feet of water. The Spanish anchor at the first site was pretty cool, dating back to the 1600's. It is stuck in the wall in about 70 feet of water. Saw a very large stingray and a good size turtle cruising the top of the wall.

Second day was also at West Caicos and much better than the first day. The walls were awesome here. Vis was the same, about 70 feet. We dove Driveway & Magic Mushroom today. At Driveway, I finally saw my first shark, which for me was incredible. It was about 20 feet away and about a 4 foot Reef shark. Also saw the largest lobster I have ever seen, along with a school of about 15 Barracuda hanging out near our boat. At Magic Mushrrom, I saw my second shark, about a 5 foot Reef shark. He had about 30 feet of fishing line trailing from his mouth! Saw a very large green moray on top of the wall, under a coral head. Biggest moray I have ever seen.

Third day, we were on the Dive Provo boat and went to French Cay. We dove Half Mile Reef & Lucy's Hammerhead. We tried to get over to G-Spot but the vis was horrible. As it was, we had about 40-50 foot vis and this was better than G-Spot had to offer. Unfortunately, the sun wasn't out today to help at all. At Half Mile Reef, saw a large Eagle Ray above us w/o a tail and then a second one about 30 feet below us. At Lucy's, there was a huge variety of small very vibrantly colored fish. It was like swimming in a huge aquarium! Saw a few spotted drums, stingray, and a bright blue trumpet fish, which I had never seen in this color.

The resort we stayed at was great and I would go back there in a minute. It was the Royal West Indies on Provo, set on Grace Bay. We snorkled at Coral Gardens, which was very good snorkeling. The beach was incredible, as was the color of the water. It was like nothing I had ever seen. The sand was very fine, like flour, and would remain cool even as the day grew hot.

The island itself doesn't seem to have much to offer away from the water. It is a desert environment and not in very good shape. A lot of bad roads and garbage strewn about, along with a ton of construction going on with new resorts. They need to work on the roads but it doesn't appear to be a priority. The natives were very friendly and great to deal with.

Overall, it was a good trip but the weather didn't cooperate most of the week we were there. We had two sunny half days and 3 very cloudy days, with one day of rain. We have always been lucky on our caribbean vacations with mostly sun but our luck seem to run out with this one!

Looking forward to the next trip, wherever that may be!

Nice trip report. Thanks for the info. Sounds a little disappointing. I have been to Provo twice diving and the diving was great. We vis in the 90-100 ft both times. Last year actually saw a school of hammerheads that was a little intimidating. Twice have taken trips to West Caicos with Fifi, both time very good dive days.

Thanks for the report skinfish. We will be diving with CA in 3 weeks. I hope Fifi has the new boat by then. I requested the "big boat" when I booked my dives last month and was told the new boat would be there by May.

I would guess the new boat will be there by then. If it is, I would be interestedi n hearing how it is. It sounds like a great boat.

Post here after your trip, I hope you have some great diving!

Thanks for the trip report. Sorry it wasn't everything it could have been. I've found TCI to be quite hit or miss lately.

Skinfish

My wife and I were on the Hercules with you on your first two dive days. (hint: we're from RI) My congratulations on your excellent, accurate report.
I was surprised that you folks went to French Cay on Sunday. It was really a pretty nasty day on Grace Bay. Even the snorkeling at Coral Gardens was poor.
On Monday and Tuesday we dove the West Caico's wall again from the Hercules. There was a pretty goood current running on Monday but it has subsided by Tuesday. All in all I really enjoyed the diving in T&C. The wall and corals are spectacular and though we didn't see any huge fish their color & variety compared favorably with other locations we've been to.
We stayed at the Sands Resort and found it to be excellent. The food on T&C is very expensive and we found it very convenient to have a full kitchen in our suite.

Tom, good to hear from you!

The reason they took us to french Cay was because it was so bad at West Caicos (and I was bugging them for two days to take me there, they were probably sick of hearing it from me!). Glad you agree on the report, that it is accurate.

I did enjoy the diving and have to agree, the walls there are easily the most spectacular in terms of corals, sponges, & gorgonians I have ever seen. The smaller fish were brilliantly colored and a very large variety. I was just hoping for more of the large variety!

On Monday & Tuesday, did you see any sharks on West Caicos or any Eagle Rays? Was the vis ok?

Good to hear from you and thanks for your feedback.

Doug

Tommed:
Skinfish

My wife and I were on the Hercules with you on your first two dive days. (hint: we're from RI) My congratulations on your excellent, accurate report.
I was surprised that you folks went to French Cay on Sunday. It was really a pretty nasty day on Grace Bay. Even the snorkeling at Coral Gardens was poor.
On Monday and Tuesday we dove the West Caico's wall again from the Hercules. There was a pretty goood current running on Monday but it has subsided by Tuesday. All in all I really enjoyed the diving in T&C. The wall and corals are spectacular and though we didn't see any huge fish their color & variety compared favorably with other locations we've been to.
We stayed at the Sands Resort and found it to be excellent. The food on T&C is very expensive and we found it very convenient to have a full kitchen in our suite.

Doug

Good to hear from you. On Monday we went back to West Caicos on the Dive Provo boat. As you noted it was much nicer than the Hercules. The seas were up and we had to do some "surfing" at the entrance to the little harbor on West Caicos. The first dive we did was The Gully. Asa was our DM and he pointed out nice fish including a pair of flying gunards right at the mooring. There was more current on this dive than our previous ones. Our second dive was called Boat Dock Cove and was real close to the Gully. Once again it was a nice wall dive but a bit strenuous as the current was really humming by then.

On Tuesday we went back to West Caicos this time on the Hercules. We dove Magic Mushroom and Elephant Ear. I almost ran out of no deco time on my computer on the second. Those diving nitrox didn't have this problem and I'm thinking about getting nitrox certified before I head to the Carribean again.

We really enjoyed T&C and diving wiith you and all the other nice folks we met. If you ever get to RI look us up and hopefully we'll be able to do a dive.

Tom

I will do that Tom if I ever get up your way and please do the same if you get to Chicago. It was nice to meet and dive with you and your wife.

Talk with you soon

Doug

Tommed:
Doug

Good to hear from you. On Monday we went back to West Caicos on the Dive Provo boat. As you noted it was much nicer than the Hercules. The seas were up and we had to do some "surfing" at the entrance to the little harbor on West Caicos. The first dive we did was The Gully. Asa was our DM and he pointed out nice fish including a pair of flying gunards right at the mooring. There was more current on this dive than our previous ones. Our second dive was called Boat Dock Cove and was real close to the Gully. Once again it was a nice wall dive but a bit strenuous as the current was really humming by then.

On Tuesday we went back to West Caicos this time on the Hercules. We dove Magic Mushroom and Elephant Ear. I almost ran out of no deco time on my computer on the second. Those diving nitrox didn't have this problem and I'm thinking about getting nitrox certified before I head to the Carribean again.

We really enjoyed T&C and diving wiith you and all the other nice folks we met. If you ever get to RI look us up and hopefully we'll be able to do a dive.

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom