Turks & Caicos Resorts - need recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skinfish

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My wife and I are looking to go to the TCI in late March of 2005. We are looking into the Ocean Club, Royal West, or the Sands resorts.

My wife does not dive but I do. She would like a property with a nice pool, grounds and a nice beach since she will be there while I am diving.

Any recommendations or experience with any of these resorts will be a big help for us. I went to Coz earlier this year and this forum was the biggest help in setting up my trip. Reviews and feedback were right on the money and it helped make our trip great.

Also, looking at Caicos Adventures as the dive shop to go with. Any feedback or other recommendations for who to dive with while in Provo?

Thanks,

Skinfish

We went on the cheap and stayed at a small condo off the water. I would say don't dive with Dive Provo, they cap bottom time at 45min regardless of ability.

My wife is also a non-diver and the she loved it there. We stayed at the ocean club the first time and I dove with provo-turtle divers. (that was about 8 years ago). Both were great. last time (about 5 years ago) we stayed at beaches resort, it was fantastic. if you stay at a superclub like beaches or snadals make sure you check in at the diveshop early, they required a pool checkout of every diver unless you were an instructor before allowing you to ssign up for dives. Both times there we did a day trip with an outside tour operator(jand b tours i think) that was fantastic. deserted island, picnic lunch, bottle of wine, just wife and I..... you figure out the rest lol. Any resort on grace bay beach should do fine for the wife, the beach is probably the best we have ever been on. And if she snorkels ask about the snorkeling site in front of the white house resort we saw turtles , eagle rays etc. 100'from the beach!! Have a great time

Everyone seems to like Caicos Adventures, providing Kiki the owner's love life is in order. I dived with Big Blue there - my wife had dived with them previously. Pleasant enough guys - they can do anything right through rebreathers, but their boat had NO FRESHWATER SHOWER.
They let me dive my own dive profiles, which pretty much consisted of going way down the walls 200'+ or out in the blue looking for stuff. We always caught the damn outgoing tides, so we missed the pelagic stuff waiting for the returning tide.
There's a big Beaches there on Provo if you're into big organized stuff like that, but I would have to pass on it. Your wife might like that since her day will be filled with organized activities.
We stayed at the Alexandra which tried to sell us a time share. The place was nice and the staff is top-notch. You can get quite a nice 1-bedroom unit for $485,000 or so, if they have any left.
Looking at their website:
http://www.alexandraresort.com/resort_trial_membership/resort_trial_membership.html
shows one week in a studio for $800 - not too bad. The sales people are very good though. Just do the math on a time share and see that paying $20,000 for one week's rights to a 1-bedroom is most excellent math for the condo builder.
Make sure you get to Blue Hills Estates and have some conch and a beer at Bugaloo's.

Just got back a couple days ago from a week long trip to the Turks and Caicos. It was my first time there, and I *cannot wait* to go back. We stayed at the Sands, which was lovely - we had a 1 bedroom oceanfront suite which was somewhere in the range of $300-400 /night - not out of line with similar resorts on the island, from what I'm told. The beach is beautiful, although that's true at all of the resorts, I'm sure. The restaurant at the Sands, Hemingway's, was good but nothing spectacular. I found out very quickly that the drink prices at many of the restaurants are a bit shocking ($7 for a beer, etc.) Anyway, overall we were happy with the Sands and would probably stay there again, although would certainly investigate other options as well to see who was offering the best deals at the time. From talking to many of the other divers and to other folks at some of the restaurants, I heard good things about pretty much all the major resorts on the island, so it probably comes down to what you are specifically looking for in terms of price and so forth.

We dove four days with Caicos Adventures, and I cannot say enough good things about them; they were AWESOME. The boat was spotlessly clean (they even clean the head twice during each trip while everyone is diving.) From the moment we stepped on board we didn't have to touch our equipment; they set everything up for us, changed tanks between dives and rinsed gear (including our wetsuits) each night so we didn't have to lift a finger. You are free to dive your own profile if you want, or they put you with a dive guide, which I recommend unless you've been there yourself multiple times - they always seemed to find things that the rest of us may have missed, even the experienced divers. Our dives were off French Cay and West Caicos - I'm too lazy to list everything we saw, but if you read Tim Ingersoll's trip report you'll get the idea (our first two days diving were the last two he was there, I believe.) On our last day I got to swim within arm's reach of a 6-7' reef shark for several minutes - what a thrill. Fifi's crew on the Caicos Cat - Asa, Kinard, Oliver, Vince and Richard - were super helpful and alot of fun to hang out with; they truly went out of there way to make sure everyone had exactly what they needed and they treated everyone like family. My dive buddy, who normally gets violently seasick on EVERY boat trip here in Southern California, found her seasickness to be minimal even on the two days when it was extremely choppy on the surface.

I haven't tried any of the other dive operators on Provo, so I have nothing to compare CA with, but as I said I would recommend them HIGHLY and will absolutely dive with them on my next trip. I hope you enjoy your trip as much as we did.

HighDesertDiver:
Our dives were off French Cay and West Caicos - I'm too lazy to list everything we saw, but if you read Tim Ingersoll's trip report you'll get the idea (our first two days diving were the last two he was there, I believe.)

Hey High Desert Diver! Glad I could turn you on to Scubaboard. You are gonna love it here. Hope to dive with you again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom