Turks & Caicos questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jlstubbs

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife and I are leaving for T&C in the a.m. Was wondering if there is any suggestions from people who have been about places to eat, things to do, etc.. while we are there.

We are set up to dive the Caicos Adventures and are looking forward to it.

We are staying at The Sands on Grace Bay beach.

Thanks in advance,

John L

You picked a great hotel and Dive op.
Hemingways has the best food in my opinion.
For some good Bar Type food there is Sharkbite grill, Tiki hut at Turtle Cove and Calico Jacks, Barefoot Cafe at the Ports of Call.
For fancier food we enjoyed Magnolia, Coyoba $$$$
We heard great things about Danny Buoys as well.
As far as things to do, we just went diving everyday.

Enjoy your trip, the beaches are pristine.

jlstubbs:
My wife and I are leaving for T&C in the a.m. Was wondering if there is any suggestions from people who have been about places to eat, things to do, etc.. while we are there.

We are set up to dive the Caicos Adventures and are looking forward to it.

We are staying at The Sands on Grace Bay beach.

Thanks in advance,

John L

We dove every day, but on the last day we skipped diving to do a couple of things (your supposed to have 24hrs. off anyway). We went to Big Blue and did a kayak tour to Iguana Island and then into the mangroves. We also visited the "Conch Farm" which seemed kinda corny, but we found the info interesting and the tour ended up worthwhile. We also rented a car and took our own tour of some of the roads which we would do more of if T&C come back up, on the list.

Where's Tim I. he knows all the good restaurants?

Have fun,
Caymanaiac

Sorry John. I missed that one. Hope you have a pleasant voyage!

Hey all, I'm heading to T&C next Wednesday and am curious what folks are seeing down there. I hear there is still a good possibility of gray whales and other pelagics, even this late in the year.

Any scoop? We're staying at Royal West Indies and I've booked three days of boat diving with Dive Provo. I'm going with nondivers (my friend has epilepsy and can't get certified, even if she wanted to) so I'm just going to take potluck with wherever they're going. I understand there's one site with about a squillion eagle rays, tho.

You have a good chance of seeing sharks on most dives. We were there in April and didn't see any other large critters during 12 dives. We also did not see a single Eagle Ray. The critters we did see were Southern Stingrays, Burr Fish, Reef Sharks, Groupers, Snappers, Parrot Fish, Flamingo Tounges, Fairy Bassletts, Jawfish, Lobsters, one Eel, Blue Tangs, Angel Fish, Butterfly Fish, etc.

It is a really great dive destination, have a great trip.

That's great, as I love sharks. Mostly reef sharks? Blacktips? I am told somebody recently saw an oceanic whitetip on one of the Bimini sites.

I just did a shark dive in Bimini with Blackbeard's but got crappy pictures, as the site was filled with thermals affecting visibility, so maybe this'll be my chance.

Somebody on another website said they recently saw a hammerhead at T&C...interesting, since they usually hang out at 200 feet or so, I'm told...

I'd be surprised to see a whale this late in the season. If you want to see eagle rays try the boat channel between West Caicos and Provo. It is usually a no fail for rays. The only sharks I have ever seen in TCI are Caribbean reef sharks, one tiger and lots of nurses.

Rescue Diver68:
You picked a great hotel and Dive op.
Hemingways has the best food in my opinion.
For some good Bar Type food there is Sharkbite grill, Tiki hut at Turtle Cove and Calico Jacks, Barefoot Cafe at the Ports of Call.
For fancier food we enjoyed Magnolia, Coyoba $$$$
We heard great things about Danny Buoys as well.
As far as things to do, we just went diving everyday.

Enjoy your trip, the beaches are pristine.

Thanks! We just got back and had a great time in Provo. The Sands was a great resort and I'm not usually in awe of a beach, but Grace Bay (especially in front of our resort) was off the hook for beaches.

Caicos Adventures again was a great dive op. We truely were on vacation. I'm used to setting up my own dive gear, but they wanted to do it (actually insisted) so my wife and I just sat back and the only thing we did was dive and sit at the beach.

Saw a lot of fish and rays. Well, one eagle ray and reef sharks on every dive. Last day a hammerhead made a pass about 10 ft. from us. He didn't hang around long, but it was really neat. Had never seen a hammerhead before. The guide said it was at least 12 ft. Don't know, but I know it was a lot bigger than the reef sharks I had been following a few minutes prior.

Hemingway's was my fav restaurant. Convenient too, since it was on site at The Sands.

Thanks again!

JL

jlstubbs:
Last day a hammerhead made a pass about 10 ft. from us. He didn't hang around long, but it was really neat. Had never seen a hammerhead before. The guide said it was at least 12 ft. Don't know, but I know it was a lot bigger than the reef sharks I had been following a few minutes prior.JL

AWESOME! Thats so cool! You should post a formal trip report so everyone can benefit from your trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom