Turks & Caicos: Provo vs. Grand Turk?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bluetraveler

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I'm thinking about joining a trip to Provo in June but I don't know much about these islands. Am curious about how the two compare?

Provo is more touristy, Grand Turk tends to be more laid back. Of course since the cruise ships have started coming into GT it has changed down on the south end, the north end is pretty much the same. As much as I like Oasis diving, if there is a ship in, go with Blue Water or Sea-Eye diving.

All of the dive sites (about a dozen and a half) are withing a 5-10 minute boat ride (or less) and usually have both a reef and wall component. I have always had good to great dives there.

I have not dove Provo, so can't speak for them.

Mike

I'll won't be in Grand Turk until next February at the Bohio, but I have been to Provo. Provo is typically larger resorts and condos with beautiful beaches around Grace Bay. Except for Coral Gardens, there is very little to see right off shore, so any snorkelers might be disappointed. Diving is really good, with the best sites being in the Nothwest Point and West Caicos areas. The only downside is that the boat rides tend to be very long, 45 minutes not being unusual. I was there in February a few years ago, and the seas were very choppy at times. On the other hand, we saw humpback whales on the surface as they were migrating.

I'm going with Grand Turk this time because of the short boat rides...like 5-10 minutes...and the excellent nearby wall diving. Provo was, however, a great dive trip.

Try to dive Grand Turk between cruise ship arrivals. There's a landing list on the government web site.
Also, try to dive on incoming tides - the big critters come in then.

Done both. GT is shorter boat rides and not as good diving IMHO. If its all about the better diving and you don't mind a bit of boat time then Provo is your better bet. Both are expensive with Provo comparing to GC in prices.

Thanks for the replies. It IS all about the diving... =) I had heard conflicting things about which island has the better diving but not from anyone who had been to both. I don't get seasick, so I don't mind the longer boat rides--more time to work on the tan!

Also done both - agree the long rides from Provo get you to better stuff than the short rides from GT.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom