Turks & Caicos Explorer II May 2019 Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

73diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just returned from a ver pleasant dive trip aboard the Turks & Caicos Explorer II. There was a crew of 6 (captain, purser, engineer, chef and two mates). The crew members were scuba instructors. The first thing that impressed me was the energy and passion of the crew. The food and accommodations were excellent. The 18 passengers were allowed five guided dives per day. Hot towels after a night dive was a welcome treat. Tanks from 60 to 100 cu. ft. we’re available; 80 cu. ft. was typical. Nitrox 31% was available. Divers normally stayed with the guide. However, divers could go as separate buddy teams or solo divers (possessing appropriate certifications) by providing a dive plan. Divers were asked to limit dives to 90’ with no deco and return to the boat with 500 PSI. Two divers with physical limitations required assistance with the collective weight of BCD, ballast weight and tank. This was handled smoothly by the crew. It appeared that every aspect of diver safety and convenience had been incorporated into the layout of the dive area: Hot showers, numerous rinse tanks, large camera bench, warm area for wet suit stowage, individual “cubbies” to store small gear, etc. The ground transportation to and from the airport was seamless.

I am headed to Turks and Caicos in mid June, do you have any specific dive sites that you favored over others?

I just returned from a ver pleasant dive trip aboard the Turks & Caicos Explorer II. There was a crew of 6 (captain, purser, engineer, chef and two mates). The crew members were scuba instructors. The first thing that impressed me was the energy and passion of the crew. The food and accommodations were excellent. The 18 passengers were allowed five guided dives per day. Hot towels after a night dive was a welcome treat. Tanks from 60 to 100 cu. ft. we’re available; 80 cu. ft. was typical. Nitrox 31% was available. Divers normally stayed with the guide. However, divers could go as separate buddy teams or solo divers (possessing appropriate certifications) by providing a dive plan. Divers were asked to limit dives to 90’ with no deco and return to the boat with 500 PSI. Two divers with physical limitations required assistance with the collective weight of BCD, ballast weight and tank. This was handled smoothly by the crew. It appeared that every aspect of diver safety and convenience had been incorporated into the layout of the dive area: Hot showers, numerous rinse tanks, large camera bench, warm area for wet suit stowage, individual “cubbies” to store small gear, etc. The ground transportation to and from the airport was seamless.

Thank you for the report, I am glad that you had a great trip! How have the reefs recovered after the 2017 hurricanes, were you able to dive French Caye and West Caicos?

We are having an interesting discussion on another forum about the best timing for liveaboard night dives - before or after dinner, see link below. Could you tell us what the practice was for night dives on the T&C Exp2?

Liveaboard nightdives question.

Thank you for the report, I am glad that you had a great trip! How have the reefs recovered after the 2017 hurricanes, were you able to dive French Caye and West Caicos?

We are having an interesting discussion on another forum about the best timing for liveaboard night dives - before or after dinner, see link below. Could you tell us what the practice was for night dives on the T&C Exp2?.

I was to Turks & Caicos in Dec 2018 and recently (May 2019). Yes to French Caye and West Caicos. I’m not an expert, but the reefs seemed to be in good shape. There is a modest reef restoration project (coral Christmas trees) in progress.

Night dives at 8:30pm. (also a pre-dawn 5:30am dive). The dive guide wore a blue tank flasher. Divers wore non-blue tank flashers. The boat was rigged with a single white flasher at the bow and two white flashers on 18’ lines at the stern. I appreciated divers with red underwater lights or very small lights or lights that could be adjusted to low intensity as they were less blinding and did not attract blood worms.

I am headed to Turks and Caicos in mid June, do you have any specific dive sites that you favored over others?
G Spot!

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on Scubaboard! We're delighted you enjoyed your trip, and we hope to see you again soon! Until then, happy diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom