Turks and Caicos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

teknitroxdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We're looking for a second island to visit this summer, and are interested in the Turks and Caicos. Does anyone know to what extent the hurricanes damaged the islands?
Also, if you've been there, what are your thoughts on the diving there?

EDIT: More specifically, Salt Cay in the TCI.

teknitroxdiver:
We're looking for a second island to visit this summer, and are interested in the Turks and Caicos. Does anyone know to what extent the hurricanes damaged the islands?

Do a quick search, you'll find tons of recent stuff on T&C.

Have dove there twice several years ago, diving was great. West Caicos was the best with nice walls, big fish etc. Grace Bay isn't as good as the other sights (more like the keys). The beach is the best Ive ever been on.

teknitroxdiver:
Just back from Providenciales early this morning. I'll qualify my comments by stating that this has been my first trip to TCI so I can't compare it to what it was before the hurricanes, but there was no obvious damage to the reefs or topside infrastructure to me.

As far as the diving was concerned, I thought it was excellent. While I'd say the corrals and variety of marine life was not as good other places in the Caribbean, it was the best that I've seen for sighting big animals. Black tipped and Caribbean reef sharks, eagle rays and/or turtles were spotted on almost every dive, in many cases within a couple of metres.

Based out of Provo, the wall is abt a 45 minute steam, so charters tend to use larger boats for relatively large groups of divers (in my case in the 15 to 20 diver range). Having said that, the staff were professional enough to recognize an experienced diver and didn't have a problem letting buddy pairs go off unguided. And I was there during the holidays so it would likely be quieter the rest of the year.

Overall I found TCI to be an excellent experience. And as previously mentioned, the beaches are stunning. Very expensive though, probably the most expensive place I've been.

Grand Turks is a good choice for a serious diver. Great wall dives that are a 5 minute boat ride from the dive shop. Yes a five minute boat ride. You are back on shore for your tank changes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom