Turks and Caicos Explorer II

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

a_lamonta

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,
I'm booked on the Turks and Caicos Explorer in a few weeks, and was wondering if anyone here has been on that boat recently?
Any advice on special things to bring that might be useful on that boat?
I'll contact the boat as well, but is there an analyzer on the boat or do I need to bring my own?

I’ve never been on a LOB (or at a resort) with Nitrox that didn’t have an analyzer, more likely 2. Not that many people have their own.

I was on the T&C EX2 a month ago. They had a pair of Nitrox analyzers, so no worries there. Only special thing I can think of is a power strip of some type, depending on number of devices you may need to charge at one time.

I was on the T&C EX2 a month ago. They had a pair of Nitrox analyzers, so no worries there. Only special thing I can think of is a power strip of some type, depending on number of devices you may need to charge at one time.
Thanks, it's 110 on the boat right? so no adapters required?

You'll love the boat and the crew. Boat has 110, we were able to plug in chargers, etc.

You don't need your own analyzer. I brought mine because I'm a geek like that and I hate waiting for anyone else. However, you've got plenty of time between dives to check & log your tanks.

Don't bring any extra shoes, you won't wear shoes on the boat. Pack light. If possible pack in small collapsible bags. Less wasted space that way!

Tell them in advance if you have any kind of dietary requirements. They were awesome with regards to food allergies, etc.

Pay attention to the briefings. They're informative and awesome!

Enjoy the hang rope ride!!

Here's a tip as indicated in the post above - if you miss the ladder, don't try to catch it, the boat swings faster on the mooring than most can swim.

It'll be back in a couple minutes.

At some sites (I think West Caicos?) they moor between the island and the reef so as the boat swings out over the reef, you're actually quite a bit closer. Saves an extra 100' or so of swimming if you time it right - ask the deck DM when to go.

On our trip b/c we had a fairly early arrival, their driver dropped us off at Salt Mills Plaza and took our bags to the boat. Shops/restaurants in that area. Also that night some went to a nearby liquor store - although they stock beer/wine onboard. There's also a big IGA supermarket you pass each way, I'm sure they'd stop. you're not sailing till high tide (about 4am) so the boat can get out with minimal scraping - although it does a little anyway.

Stake out a place early on the flybridge, it's covered, padded and they stock drinks up there. One deck up from the sundeck. About 8 of us lived up there all week, a couple early mornings I took a nap up there. It didn't dawn on me till about the 3rd day that my seagull buddies hovering just off the deck wanted a handout.

Nice boat, nice crew although they've changed crew since we were on board. Stan the cook does very tasty meals, I think he's still there.

Expect to see sharks, French Cay is very sharky. Lots of stingrays near the moorings also - some with their symbiotic companion fish (I think it's a snapper?)

We had a full boat so after the first day I took an extra 15mins at breakfast to let the dive deck clear out - it's a little crowded when everyone tries to gear up at once. I don't do Nitrox but my buddy does but since there's an analyzer by each side exit there wasn't much delay

I was oddly entertained at Thunderdome swimming around the structures. Some bigger fish hide there in the structure well enough that you barely see them till they move. It's shallow (failed French game show set - contestants got bent) It's probably the only "wreck" you'll dive - there was a big engine (motor not train) at one site but we never found it.

The reef is amazing in some areas - lots of nutrients flow up from the deeper walls. Better than Cayman IMO. And the fish mostly ignored us - except for one spotted nurse shark that followed us around like a puppy. DM said it does that to everyone.

have a good trip.

The airport cafe has wi-fi -f you need to catch up with reality b4 you fly home. I did not try it in the gate area.

I'm almost positive I used wifi while moored at the dock also but nothing after we sailed. Although most nights Stan called his wife back on Provo from the top deck. Crew has a satphone IIRC for emergencies.

Nice, bigger than normal rooms. we had two twins with a normal nightstand between them, a corner desk and lots of storage space both under the beds and IIRC a cabinet we didn't use. Most cabins are main deck which is nice as you walk thru the dining/living area and onto the dive deck. Two upstairs are bigger and the 3-4 downstairs are bunks not beds but all are ensuite.

I have a big soft sided duffel bag so once unpacked I gave it to a crew member and they stowed it on the flybridge in the cabinets there. Also my hard sided roller.

you're not sailing till high tide (about 4am) so the boat can get out with minimal scraping - although it does a little anyway.

Depends on what time of day high tide is. We left early evening on my trip.

I second the bring a power strip and yes, as others have said it is standard 110v just like at home. If you REALLY want to score "brownie points", the Captain, JF, is Canadian, so if you bring some Timmies you just might be the "teacher's pet" for the trip.

Don't bring any extra shoes, you won't wear shoes on the boat.

You can wear shoes if you want, just rinse off any sand. I went barefoot for a day, but opted for deck shoes the rest of the trip. The dive deck gets slick. It's treated for traction, but if you slip and bang a knee, you'll break the skin. I left a bit of DNA. :dork2: Go with what makes you comfy. :)

Interesting. They had us put out shoes in a box when we got to the boat and we got them back when we returned to port.

Of course, I wore my Force Fins barefoot the whole week and would prefer to be barefoot as much as possible, so I didn't complain!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom