Turkish Diving Restrictions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Carl P

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I heard that there are a few restrictions on diving in Turkey:
1) There are areas that diving is not permitted.
2) A local licensed guide is required on all dives.

I am primarily interested in the area between Antalya and Kalkan.

Is what I have heard correct? Is it a legal or cultural issue?
Are there acceptable / legal ways round these restrictions?

Thanks.

hi there.. there are some rescricted areas somewhere in Turkey, but they are so limited to ancient areas and some military wrecks.. Dive operators will guide you to some best dive sites.. kas and kalkan are the best places to dive, do dont hesitate to come here .. dive happy.. :)

What is the story on licensed guides? I heard that a guide was needed on all dives for non- Turkish nationals (to prevent removal of artifacts). Is this true? Is there any restriction or problem just going off the beach or your own / chartered boat without a guide?

thats true. foreign divers must have a guide and all dives ( inc turkish citizens) must be declared to coast guard.

Thats quite an irritating restriction. Greece is similar.

Even though i work as a guide i personally HATE guided dives.

thats right. but turkeys historical pieces (both underwater or underground) have been stolen several times in the past. there is even a temple ( yes, a temple that 500 people can sit in it) have been stolen and moved to germany during WW 1. thats why the restrictions are so solid.. sad but true

So the next question is; How do you become a licensed guide? Can a foreigner get this status?

turkish federation of underwater sports opens courses for u/w guides. I am not sure if a foreigner could attend the courses. you can contact them directly at :
http://www.tssf.gov.tr/.. good luck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom