Turbo Soles, Rockboots and Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jar546

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Are there any significant differences between Rockboots and Turbosoles when diving a DUI as far as air in your feet are concerned?

I use Rockboots and of course it is difficult to get air in your feet when you have laced rockboots on. With Turbosoles, you don't have a boot laced up but it is still in a fin.

An instructor brought this to my attention as a potential problem with turbosoles. Never had a problem with rockboots.

I have a hard soled drysuit and and "sock" drysuit....

After using both I think I prefer the hard soles.....

You can carefully add air during the dive helps keep feet warm....

Less gear to deal with overall......

Socks can bunch up and pressure points on feet....can be an issue if you are in your drysuit for hours....like when doing an ice diving course....

When you get out of the water laces on overboots can freeze....a few week ago I though about cutting the laces off (air temp was in the teens and windy), but then went and stood in the water until the laces thawed, that was fun.......

Just my thoughts.....M

I have a hard soled drysuit and and "sock" drysuit....

After using both I think I prefer the hard soles.....

You can carefully add air during the dive helps keep feet warm....

Less gear to deal with overall......

Socks can bunch up and pressure points on feet....can be an issue if you are in your drysuit for hours....like when doing an ice diving course....

When you get out of the water laces on overboots can freeze....a few week ago I though about cutting the laces off (air temp was in the teens and windy), but then went and stood in the water until the laces thawed, that was fun.......

Just my thoughts.....M

I had that issue a few months back. Air temp was low 20's, water temp upper 30's. While walking from the exit point back to my truck, the laces and everything else froze on me. It was very windy and I had a hard time with my rockboot laces.

I've used attached boots, rock boots, and TurboSoles. I like the TurboSoles precisely because I CAN get some air into my feet, which keeps them far warmer. But with finkeepers to minimize it, and the Velcro around the ankles, I don't think it's possible to kick out of the TurboSoles and fins. Rock boots laced loosely enough to allow some air circulation will make it possible to kick your boot and fin off (I have done it).

Hello!

Thank you all for your input. As you can see, there are many opinions with Turbo Soles versus Rock Boots. It really does come down to a personal preferance thing. In general, Turbo Soles work a little better for boat dives or areas where you are not walking around alot on the surface. The reasoning is that the Turbos just don't offer as much ankle and foot support as the Rock Boots.

In regards to during the dive...some prefer the Turbo because it is a smaller sole...they can wear their normal fins and the system doesn't feel bulky. Some find the Turbos are uncomfortable on the top of the foot and heal region. You can get the Turbos with reinforcement in those areas of concern.

On the flip side, some prefer the Rock Boots because they feel it to be a more durable, more secure system.

I hope this helps with your decision making process :).

Let me know if you need any additional information.

Thanks!

Jessica
DUI

Rock boots... two more things I might forget to take on a dive. Turbo soles, no chance of forgetting them. :) Besides, turbos give me full ankle flexibility for moving the fins where I need them to be.

I too use fin keepers to keep the turbo sole tight against my heal.

Rock boots... two more things I might forget to take on a dive. Turbo soles, no chance of forgetting them. :) Besides, turbos give me full ankle flexibility for moving the fins where I need them to be.

I too use fin keepers to keep the turbo sole tight against my heal.

Aren't those (fin keepers) something also to forget? :idk:

Aren't those (fin keepers) something also to forget? :idk:

I loop my fin keepers through the ankle velcro strap so it's always with the drysuit even when I'm not in the drysuit. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom