Tungsten weights for scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's gonna be pricey. A 1kg/2.2 lb cube on eBay is $100 and it appear to be more elsewhere.

Out of curiosity, what's the need?

Curiosity...you know...the cat killer. Oh, that, and streamlining.

Buy an X-ray technician smock and modify it to fit/meet desired weight.

I salute you.

Too bad depleted uranium is not good for you. Lots of it laying around.

Unfortunately, Tungsten's melting point appears to be over 6000°F, about 10x that of lead, so molding your own would be quite a challenge.

Curiosity...you know...the cat killer. Oh, that, and streamlining.

I like your ideas and want to know more, do you have a newsletter I could subscribe to?

Also:
Looks like the base cost of Tungsten is around $100/lb. If you really want to try it out, go for it in powdered form. You can put that in a bag, or add it to epoxy to mold it.

Unfortunately Tungsten is the cheapest metal with a higher density than Lead. Everything else is either a rare earth metal or not available!

Would probably be easier to try and make a flat lead plate that is laminated to a backplate...

OK 1st person that puts up a pic of a drug lord wearing solid gold scuba weights wins the internet for the day.

And GO!

Back
Top Bottom