Tulamben - Any Sites Worthwhile Besides Liberty?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BKtraveler

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Greetings all,

My wife and I have 2-3 days in Tulamben. just wondering if there are any other worthwhile sites to dive in the area besides the liberty wreck? We are fairly experienced divers and are looking for something at least a little special if possible. We enjoy macro but slightly prefer the bigger stuff. A great night dive would be excellent.

Thanks in advance,
BK

Last edited:
I liked the 'drop-off' site.

If special means "macro included" then there are lots of dives, though it will all come down to your dive guide.
- Some rhinopias can be seen on Sidem,
- looots of macro stuff on Seraya area.
- A special nudi that is endemic to Bali (and only Milne bay PNG elsewhere) is the Doto Greenamyeri aka the donut nudi, taht you should find on Batu Niti or Melasti.
- Don't miss the night dives which are even more spectacular for macro, the sand slope east of the Liberty wreck is a great spot.
- there's another (newer) wreck on Kubu
- If macro is not your stuff then ask for going to Japanese wreck Amed, not so much for the wreck but the amazing coral gardens behind. Couple this dive with either Bunutan wall or Pyramids in Amed.

I have only made one trip to Tulamben (4 days of diving, if I recall), but my impression was that the Liberty wreck is merely the best known site, not necessarily the best site, especially for macro life. Liberty is certainly interesting, especially if done as an early morning dive before the crowds of day trippers arrive. It can get crowded, especially for the night dive. The best dives we did in the Tulamben area were sites that our guide recommended. Our guide knew how to plan our 4 days so as to show us the best the area has to offer. We told him we like a bit of everything, but we especially like macro, and sure enough, he gave us just what we had in mind. Having a private guide, as is common in Tulamben, makes all the difference. If there is a particular thing you want to see--say, rhinopias (okay who doesn't?)--tell your guide, and he will likely make every effort to find it.

- A special nudi that is endemic to Bali (and only Milne bay PNG elsewhere) is the Doto Greenamyeri aka the donut nudi, taht you should find on Batu Niti or Melasti.

Slighty off topic, but this nudi has been spotted in singapore waters too.

Back
Top Bottom