Tubular webbing harness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnL

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I tried the search function and came up blank.

Has anyone tried using 2" tubular webbing for harness material? I have used it climbing before and it is allot softer than the webbing on my diverite plate.

I have been getting headaches since switching to the plate and they are allot worse since I started diving dry (less padding). It is adjusted correctly but the webbing does seem to dig into my shoulders near my neck quite a bit.

I have been thinking about trying a softer harness and maybe crossing the straps behind my neck to see if I can get them off of whatever point is giving me the headache.

The tubular webbing seems to be the softest stuff out there (and I can get it cheap at work). Just wondering if anyone has had a bad (or good) experience with it.

Thanks!

You can get a 2" webbing that is a softer material. Sounds like the harness is too tight though. It shouldn't be rubbing on your neck at all.

I agree. The webbing might be too tight. Also, make sure you are well hydrated, that might help with the headaches.

How many fingers can you fit in bewteen the harness and your shoulders?

I think it is adjusted ok... It's pretty loose and I can shrug out of it fairly easily. perfectly comfortable in the water. I do allot of shore diving that can have quite a walk to the water and that is when I notice it digging...the edges of the webbing are really stiff.

http://www.baue.org/images/galleries/equipment -- some images on adjusting the harness.

It's also worth noting that the harness was designed for comfort in the water, where it's you get the actual use out of it, instead of out of the water. I can see where the harness can rub you during the surface walk to the water.

I tried the soft harness and find it too "limp" with all the hardware,knives and buckles,lights attached to it.Its easier to slip into the rig with the harder harness than the soft one.Now i only use the soft harness for the crotch strap.You should have enough space for two fingers between harness and your suit to be comfortable.It'll take some adjustment before you get a comfy fit.I personally don't like the soft harness.

Well...I had it set up so that I could get two fingers and readjusted it so that I could get my whole hand under the harness. It feels a bit loose, but I had no headache or rubbing sensation in my shoulders and neck after diving it last night. It wasn't an epic hike to the water, but it was good enough to know that it feels better.

Thanks...

The suitability of the webbing for use would depend on the manufacturing really. I have some 2" tube webbing that I am using for my crotch strap. The down side to this stuff is that it is too soft. It won't stay put with keeps, they just slide around on it. I had to reconfigure my mounting of the webbing to make it work right.

Try re-webbing the plate with the straps crossed. It made a big difference for me. As for the stiffness of the webbing on the shoulders, I like it that way now. Makes it easier to don and doff.

FD

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom