TTL or Manual

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gurney_F

Reaction score
I have a Canon 400D with a S&S housing and S&S YS110 strobes. Want to know if which mode will be better. I used to use point and shoot only so am more used to manual. However, ttl is a built-in mode in my DSLR but the under water housing has an option selector if you want to use manual.
Hope to know more from you guys.Thanks

i think you need the external TTL adaptor from sea and sea for it to work. Do you have that? its a small unit that sits on top of your housing that your strobes plug into. If you don't have that then you are stuck with manual for now. You can order the TTL converter from same place you got housing and strobes.

If you do, TTL works great on subject in which you fill the frame, things such as macro and fish portraits etc. Doesn't work so hot with WA with a lot of blue water or when pointing toward the sun

This is the newest Sea & Sea housing. The TTL electronics are built into the housing and therefore the external TTL Converter is not needed. You want to shoot TTL!! This will help your exposure tremendously!

Hi,

Quick question to you Pro's.

I have found that with wide angle lens and subjects at a distance... my ttl does not seem to put out the correct amount of light... usually not enough. So I have been shooting by manualy adjusting the light.

It does TTL well for macro and close in work... is this typical?

I have a sp350 a YS 110 strobe with a HW TTL converter.

I have found that with wide angle lens and subjects at a distance... my ttl does not seem to put out the correct amount of light... usually not enough. So I have been shooting by manualy adjusting the light.

It does TTL well for macro and close in work... is this typical?

Yes, ttl is not great for WA, It's difficult for the camera to determine the correct amout of light to output which has to do with the high degree of absorption of light in the water column.

Remember that the strobe is really only good for illuminating stuff about 5ft or so away from you.

Take care,
John

No doubt, WA is tough to make look great, but when you nail it, you can create awesome pictures.

I tend to shoot manual flash for Wa when I'm deep and just try to light just my forground subject. I also like a really wide lens, like a fisheye, so I can get close enough to paint the light over the greatest part of my subject.

When it's sunny and I'm shallow (less than 40ft) I love using magic filters.

Take care,
John

I use TTL 90% of the time for macro and 1/2 power for all my WA. All the U/W macro shots here were TTL, http://scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=189546, and most of the shots in my gallery. The few WA shots there are all 1/2 power on Ike DS-125 strobes. Occasionally you will get a blown out shot with TTL but it can definitely work great.

There are some here that think TTL sucks but IMO and from what shots I've seen with TTL, it works well.

H2O Photo Pros:
This is the newest Sea & Sea housing. The TTL electronics are built into the housing and therefore the external TTL Converter is not needed. You want to shoot TTL!! This will help your exposure tremendously!
ah! about time they did that, the external rather large and ugly on the outside :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom