Tsunami clean up info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blinky

Reaction score
just got back from Phi Phi island, been diving there helping clean up the reef which will sadly take a while and with the aid of some dedicated people.
To all you divers out there if you are thinking of going to Thailand please do not be put off, the diving on the Similans was fantastic with little obvious damage to the reef some sites completely unscathed. And Phi Phi desperately needs either volunteers, divers with 100 logged dives or more if you have your own equipment great if not they will supply and more than this they desperately need tourists back, its still a beautiful place...
any more info needed îll be happy to help.

I spent two weeks on Phi Phi in 2001 and absolutely loved it, even though it was very much dominated by visitors.

Could you please give us further details about the volunteer efforts there because I'd be interested in working with them. Is housing available (I heard most of the dwellings were wiped out)? Is there a reasonable supply of food for residents and volunteers? What kinds of work assistance do they need?

Thanks in advance.

Dr. Bill

Glad you are interested, you need to go to www.hiphiphi.com. Or contact John Heike at www.phiphi-scuba.com. who was extremely helpful. With reference to accomodation unless there is a miracle and tourists start returning with a vengence you will have no problems finding a place to stay, they really are up and running but lacking customers. We alll met at 8am and checked in, getting gear if necessary, they will provide equipment if you need it.
Lunch is provided and water and if you are able to stay for a significant amount of time they will help towards paying accommodation. We were diving off the shore in buddy teams or teams of 4. Taking nets out with us, weighted to the bottom and slowly filling individual bags and transfering when full to the net, finially sending the lot up with lift bags. Be under no illusion, the vis is bad, every time you remove something a cloud of black silt is unleshed. Every day brings more and more rubbish, there is a need for snorklers too to help the divers get the bags out of the water etc and you will be well briefed on what to do with what you find.
With regard to food I didn't experience any problems they are getting deliveries from Phuket and Krabi all the time.
Hope this helps you, I did go off diving to Hin Daeng and Hin Muang and had two wonderful dives Im very sorry I couldn't stay and help for longer.
Any amount of time you can give is good just by going and spending money you are helping.

drbill:
I spent two weeks on Phi Phi in 2001 and absolutely loved it, even though it was very much dominated by visitors.

Could you please give us further details about the volunteer efforts there because I'd be interested in working with them. Is housing available (I heard most of the dwellings were wiped out)? Is there a reasonable supply of food for residents and volunteers? What kinds of work assistance do they need?

Thanks in advance.

Dr. Bill

if you plan on staying on phi phi for a while. like 4 weeks or more. accomodation and food will be free. i was just there. long term volunteers get free accomodation, and get free lunch and dinner everyday they help. definately contact hiphiphi.com. as for the rest of phi phi there are restaurants open, bars open and it is beginning to come back alive. tourists can be scarse some days though, but i didnt mind it. normally the tourists just come in for a day or two. definately dont miss checking out the island though. when i was there i would go and walk on the beach and there was nobody in sight. very peaceful if you ask me. throw me a pm if you want specifics on the island. or anything. good luck with your decision.

Back
Top Bottom