Trying to narrow down next trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

War Eagle Diver

Registered
Reaction score
Nashville, TN for 11 months a year, 1 month a year
# of dives
25 - 49
So I have posted a few questions about Turneffe Island Resort previously and while I am pumped for the opportunity to go there, the cost factor is definitely something to consider. Turneffe is going to be around $3000 pp including diving and food and 4 of us are going therefore = $12,000. On the other hand, we can all chip in and get a really sweet house in Ambergris Caye for around $5000 for the week (or less) + diving and food expenses on top of that and all. So my question is, is it worth paying the extra cash to dive somewhere like Turneffe for the week or would AC be plenty satisfying for the amount of money saved?

All in all, I would not say the money is necessarily an "issue" as we're each paying our own way, but just curious with the cost difference, if we would be just as well served diving around AC for the week?

Or, and I realize this is a completely side question, would we be better off going to somewhere else other than AC? We are game for pretty much anywhere in the Caribbean or Central America area.

This is tough but overall I can't think of any problem I would rather have than trying to choose my next dive drip!

Thanks in advance,
John

So much depends on what you expect from your holiday, and your diving. "Ambergris Caye" isn't homogeneous but varies consdierably along its 25 mile length. If you want somewhere "different", peaceful but not isolated, with excellent uncrowded diving, look into Tranquility Bay at the northern end of AC.

Have you thought about a live aboard we are spending a week on the Belize Aggressor III in a couple of months.

Have you been to Cozumel? The diving is better than Ambergris Caye and it is much cheaper. At the Turneffe reefs, the diving is on par with Cozumel.

You can do Turneffe for quite a bit less than $3000/diver. If you are going mainly for diving and for a remote island experience, Turneffe.

If you want more action, AC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't TIR more like $2,500 pp? Or are you adding in the cost of a cabana?

I have no doubt TIR would be more expensive but keep in mind that transportation, lodging, meals and diving costs are all included. It's very much a hassle free experience and there's something to be said for that.

I've been to Cozumel, and while I enjoyed it I doubt I'll go back anytime soon, if ever. Too much development and too crowded for me. One good thing, though, is that if you get left behind by your dive boat you could just climb aboard any one of the other fifty that will be floating around the channel. Just my two cents, and I'm not trying to hurt anyone's feelings as I know Cozumel has lots (and lots and lots) of fans.

If you're thinking of somewhere else to go, you might consider Placencia. The boat rides are longer, about an hour each way, but there's plenty to keep you entertained on the way out and back and the mainland stuff, like Mayan ruins, jaguar preserve, Mayan and Garifuna cultures is outstanding and just a quick drive up the peninsula. And the diving's great there, too.

Last edited:
And not far from Placencia, we now have a nice new zip line (which we tested today plus visited Rio Blanco falls) )and another river tubing operation!
Regards
Ralph

Have you been to Cozumel? The diving is better than Ambergris Caye and it is much cheaper. At the Turneffe reefs, the diving is on par with Cozumel.

I live in Belize and from time to time go up to Cozumel & Playa. The diving I've seen up there is no better than Belize and often worse, it's very crowded, and generally considerably more expensive. In Playa two months ago I was quoted US$85 for two dives by several operators. No-one in Belize with comparable length boat journeys charges that much, and often it's US$30 less. When you dive in Belize you're generally with fewer than 10 divers - often far fewer - whereas in Mexico I've rarely seen fewer than 15-20 divers on a boat.

And not far from Placencia, we now have a nice new zip line (which we tested today plus visited Rio Blanco falls) )and another river tubing operation!
Regards
Ralph

Ralph, what's the name of the river tubers and which river do they use?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom