trying to form a new team

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fire_diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
My dept is looking at starting a PSD. We have an all-volunteer PSD (which I "joined" 2 years ago), but it's a joke and basically exists in name only. A dept based one can enforce training standards, equip maintenance, etc.

My training officer wanted to just send me to the course. So we had a sit-down and I explained the need for a full team, members on all shifts, and training needs. We have a lot of guys who want to join, but we have to start them from OW up. The good news is that he said not to worry about equip costs!

Anyway....He tells me he wants me to write a full SOP for review before any decisions are made. so PLEASE HELP ME!

Tell me how your team is manned, organized, and trained. What equipment do you consider minimum mandatory for the team? What training courses are mandatory for divers? I've found some great info out on the web so far, but I can never have enough info or ideas.

Please feel free to email me if you wish. my address is: (nospam@)thedetectorist @ sbcglobal.net(nospam) just remove the ()'s and the spaces.

FD

fire_diver:
My dept is looking at starting a PSD. We have an all-volunteer PSD (which I "joined" 2 years ago), but it's a joke and basically exists in name only. A dept based one can enforce training standards, equip maintenance, etc. That's one reason we are an in house team.

My training officer wanted to just send me to the course. So we had a sit-down and I explained the need for a full team, members on all shifts, and training needs. We have a lot of guys who want to join, but we have to start them from OW up. The good news is that he said not to worry about equip costs!Are they thinking REC cost's or PSD cost's? We stop our trainees at OW and go right into PSD training. Rec and PSD don't like mixing very well. One more thing, Do they want to join for a status thing or some hard work? Status kills divers, hard work makes for a good safe team.

Anyway....He tells me he wants me to write a full SOP for review before any decisions are made. so PLEASE HELP ME! Get with Dive Rescue International for an SOP. The have access to several and will work with you on getting the team started on the right track.

Tell me how your team is manned, organized, and trained. In house makes it much easier.What equipment do you consider minimum mandatory for the team? Every area has different needs, what works for Idaho isn't going to work for Florida.What training courses are mandatory for divers? OW then PSDI've found some great info out on the web so far, but I can never have enough info or ideas.

Please feel free to email me if you wish. my address is: (nospam@)thedetectorist @ sbcglobal.net(nospam) just remove the ()'s and the spaces.

FD
Good luck and take Baby Steps, DO NOT rush into getting it started.

Gary D.

Thanks for the tips.

Not sure yet why some of them want to join. I've explained that this is blackout, nasty, contaminated, even more bad memories you would rather forget type work. So far I just have a list of names. I probably need to have interviews with all candidates.

As for costs, not sure exactly what "they" might be thinking. My TO said 'what you think of as expensive, isn't expensive. The cost is relative to the safety and public benefit." As a fire dept, we are used to things costing 4X more simply becuase it carries an NFPA rating, and most items costs are in the multi hundreds and multi thousands. We just bought 2 new pumpers, a new heavy rescue, 2 new brush rigs, are spec-ing out a new pumper/tanker and are almost done with construction of a brand new station. With THOSE expenses, the cost of outfitting a dive team won't seem like much of anything.

I will be looking up Dive Rescue Int very shortly.

Thanks again,

FD

Also check PSDiver on-line magazine (www.PSDiverMonthly.com). Last issue I saw had several files worth of different PSD SOPs. Good stuff. I'm revewing them to make sure our's is up to snuff.
I agree with Gary, though, definately get with a real training agency for the right stuff.

This may be a new thread, but...is anyone getting asked/tasked with inspecting bridges in your areas?

diven'-larry:
This may be a new thread, but...is anyone getting asked/tasked with inspecting bridges in your areas?

Oh man, you don't want what we got going on. We had a bridge collapse about 3 months ago after our ladder truck drove over it. No injuries, thank God. After that we had emergencies brdige inspections city wide. Why the hell weren't they doing this before????? Anyway, many bridges were closed until repairs could be made. One 36 ton bridge was reduced in rating to a 12 ton. So where was all the inspection and repair work before WE dropped one? City managers/counsels can really piss me off some times.

FD

Also check PSDiver on-line magazine (www.PSDiverMonthly.com). Last issue I saw had several files worth of different PSD SOPs. Good stuff. I'm revewing them to make sure our's is up to snuff.
I agree with Gary, though, definately get with a real training agency for the right stuff.

The correct website is www.PSDiver.com

Having started a joint FD/EMS team over 20 years ago I know it is a daunting task. Once you get training and develop your SOGs, which by the way always evolve, you are just starting the journey. One of the biggest hurdles you may find is funding for equipment. Up until last year all our members were using their own gear. I will contact you via the email in your initial post and send you our current SOGs and help you along.
Dive safe.

You do realize that this thread is 15 years old. The OP started that journey a long time ago. I retired from LE PSD in 2013 after 30 years but I am sure SOP/SOGs have changed since then.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom