Trying to feel out response on a idea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diesel298

Reaction score
I am the tech. at my LDS and am always trying to come up with ideas to improve buisness.
one idea i have, but not too sure of the sucess is..
a mail order type repair service on regs.
we are a multuple manufacture service center, so we can service a wide range of equepment with authorized parts. In order to be competive. there would be a considerable price difference in labor. in hopes to bring in the volume, and compinsate the shipping costs... I also feel that a reasonable turn around time could also be acoplished simply by increasing my schedule for repair work....
this could also provide a solution to those who buy stuff off the internet, but have no local service center for that manufacture.
like i said, just a idea im trying to feel out

people are viewing, but no one has any input?
good bad or indifferent. what do ya think?

I think it's a great idea.

Put up the prices on your web site, link to the site and tell about the service here on
SB, and I'm sure people will take you up on it.

If you want to get things started, you could tell me how much you'd charge to service my Apeks regs (DS4 + 2 TX40s), what the turnaround would be, etc.

thanks for the feedback
like i said im still feelin it out.
im thinking turnaround would be between 7 to 10 days total (including shipping time)
im thinking 15-20$ a unit so 45-60 range for a 1st and 2 seconds.. (still pondering that)
parts at whatever those cost per a specific application
then of corse shipping. express shipping costing more of corse
as for payment, im thinkin paypall, major credit cards, check ok but would require time to clear. basically i could work out whatever was needed there
and of corse if there where any non standard service parts needed, that would need to be ordered, that would delay turn around..

If you had a price sheet, like a menu, it would help more in terms of how helpful we could be with comments. I'm sure you know there are other, large, retailers who also offer a mail-in service. It's hit or miss enough with 'authorized dealers and repair centers' within 200 miles of where I live, until I found 2 good ones, so if there was such a service promoted here on Scubaboard with lots of positive feedback, it would probably be quite successful. One thing to consider is listing your fees and capabilities for rendering components O2 clean & O2 compatible as well, or you might miss a market segment in tech divers with deco rigs.

WarmWaterDiver:
If you had a price sheet, like a menu, it would help more in terms of how helpful we could be with comments. I'm sure you know there are other, large, retailers who also offer a mail-in service. It's hit or miss enough with 'authorized dealers and repair centers' within 200 miles of where I live, until I found 2 good ones, so if there was such a service promoted here on Scubaboard with lots of positive feedback, it would probably be quite successful. One thing to consider is listing your fees and capabilities for rendering components O2 clean & O2 compatible as well, or you might miss a market segment in tech divers with deco rigs.
excellent idea..
ill make up a chart of sorts with different regs, and what total prices would be including parts and labor an a standard service.
get some shipping info. and what services can be given on what products...
then get this posted on the website.
thanks again.
any more ideas or input is great, and ill keep a update on progress.

thanks
Ray

Diesel298:
excellent idea..
ill make up a chart of sorts with different regs, and what total prices would be including parts and labor an a standard service.
get some shipping info. and what services can be given on what products...
then get this posted on the website.
thanks again.
any more ideas or input is great, and ill keep a update on progress.

You're too late for first-to-market; you'll have to look for fast-follower angles. AirTech has been in exactly this business for years.

lairdb:
You're too late for first-to-market; you'll have to look for fast-follower angles. AirTech has been in exactly this business for years.
im not really trying to pioneer a new thing, we actually get a few mail in orders from past customers that have moved out of the area.
im trying to provide a service to other divers who may not be hapy with there current options with service, and expand the technial servive at my shop.
but if its already being done, that means its feasable for me as well....
im thinkin this could be a good service for anyone involved...
thanks again all for your input

I actually did a ship-ahead on my regs to a shop in Delray Beach -- I live in Cincinnati. Finding a shop certified to service the new Poseidon Xstreams was somewhat difficult, but I'm likely to send my regs there again! I was able to pick it up in person, but having met the shop owners, I wouldn't have any problem having them send it back, too. Unless you can price the service low enough and make up the lower margin with higher volume, you'll probably have a hard time competing for common equipment.

-Rob

Back
Top Bottom