Trying out the 14mm Sigma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fisheyeview

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Ft. Lauderdale, FL (The Diving Capital of the Worl
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I have been shooting the Tokina 10-17mm fe for a while now, and I love it. Lately, I have been wanting to augment my wide angle shooting with a rectilinear lens.

I spoke with Ryan at Reef about my options. One of the lenses I wanted to try he told me not to bother with underwater. He suggested I try the 14mm Sigma.

I had the perfect opportunity to try it out this weekend. On Saturday I dove with Conch Republic in Islamorada. In the morning we did the Duane & the Bibb.

The weather forecast said 4’ – 6’ seas outside the reef. I was prepared for some bad conditions, but it was great out there. Seas were more like 3’ with an occasional 5’ wave coming through. They were rollers, so it was no big deal.

As we hooked up to the buoy on the Bibb I was ready to jump in. The water was so blue that it was surreal. One of the other divers looked at the water and said it was “Bluetiful”.

There was not a lick of current, and we had 100+ feet of vis. We were able to do free descents/assents, and just hover around the line for our safety stops. From the 10’ stop you could count the rungs on the Duane tower.

Here are a some shots from the two dives.

Deepstops on the Bibb
1209349467_Deepstops.jpg

Netmage on the Bibb
1209349772_Netmage.jpg

The Bibb
1209349909_The-Long-Passage-copy.jpg

The Duane
1209349525_Duane-1-copy.jpg

Duane again
1209349551_Duane-2-copy.jpg

ReefPhotoKelly on the Duane
1209349492_Diver-on-Duane-copy.jpg

Nice to see some examples with this lens :)

What other lenses were you thinking of? Which did Ryan warn you off of?

The Nikon 12-24. He said the focal distance does not lend itself to underwater.

I am really interested in the new Tokina 11-16 rectilinear.

Back
Top Bottom