Truk & Palau Part 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steve P

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Diving Truk Lagoon had been a dream of mine since the mid 70's. It took longer than I expected, but finally made it. If you love wrecks you've either already been to Truk or its on top of your bucket list. If you're not a wreck nut but are planning a trip to Palau, I highly recommend visiting Truk. Read some history and then live it. These wrecks are slowly, but surely, being reclaimed by the ocean and there's no other place like this.

We stayed at Blue Lagoon resort. The dive op was great, rooms were fine, and the view was fantastic. Food service was very slow at times and most of the food was good but many guests, including, myself, ended up with a bit of food poisoning. Luckily for me, I got it after our last dive day so I didn't miss any dives. That was the the only downside of Blue Lagoon, but something to consider. My wife was fine -no GI problems.

Diving was simply amazing. We did 12 wrecks during 13 dives over 5 days. You can dive deep, of course, but my max depth was 123 feet and we didn't get much below 100 on most dives. There's plenty to see above those depths. My favorites were the: Fujikawa, Nippo, Rio de Janeiro and the Sankisan Maru. Shinkoku is a pretty wreck, but vis was bad the day we were there.

Penetrating into the holds / bridges of many of these ships can be easily done since many have either no or very limited overhead obstruction. As with all diving, stay within the limits of your training & skill level. Truk may not be the best choice for beginners, but you do not need be an advanced technical wreck diver to enjoy diving there. While we didn't dive the San Francisco Maru with it's 165+ depths, you can see a battle tank on the Nippo at 120, Zero fighters in the Fujikawa and the operating room & Japanese baths on the Shinkoku. We saw torpedoes, huge shells, ammo, cases of beer bottles, periscopes, trucks, telegraphs, boilers & cylinders in engine rooms and of course huge guns mounted on the bow & sterns of many ships.

An added bonus was spending some of our surface intervals snorkeling on a Zero fighter & on the Suzuki sub chaser patrol boat that still has a depth charge sitting on it's stern at ~ 40 feet. Oh yeah, there's plenty of fish & marine life contrary to some of the reports that I read. Vis varied from 40 feet to over 100.

Lastly, as you may know, Chuuk is very poor. I've been Honduras and other impoverished areas, but have never seen anything like Chuuk. You won't be strolling through towns, checking out restaurants. We never left the resort. I would go back to Blue Lagoon, but would probably try the Odyssey next time. It's expensive but highly rated.

Thank you for this report. I'm booked to dive aboard the Odyssey in Feb 2014.

Thanks for the info. Helpful and great timing as I'm in the midst of planning for Truk in October of '13. One question, does the Blue Lagoon op use a in-water divemaster / guide? Or do you backroll in and drop on the wreck and find your own way?

Thanks for the info. Helpful and great timing as I'm in the midst of planning for Truk in October of '13. One question, does the Blue Lagoon op use a in-water divemaster / guide? Or do you backroll in and drop on the wreck and find your own way?

Blue Lagoon sends a guide down on all the dives who will take you on the penetrations, show you the holds, etc. After you do the penetrations you're on your own to explore the exterior and can surface when you're ready.

Great trip report! Glad you got to dive your dream destination!

Kevin,

As Dan notes, Blue Lagoon sends a dive guide on each dive but also allows you explore on your own. The guides have extensive experience having dived the wrecks thousands of times. Also, one thing I didn't mention in my OP, since the dive boats are small you will not be crowded. In addition to my wife & I, we had 1- 3 other divers and the guide on every dive. And we never shared a wreck with another group.

Steve

---------- Post added December 1st, 2012 at 02:07 PM ----------

Thanks, Jake. Took a long time to finally make the trip but definately worth the wait!

Soooo, my ticket is purchased and reservations made at Blue Lagoon for October, planning is all about the really important stuff now; to dive a single tank maybe slinging a 30 or 40, or get just take the plunge and side mount trained? Experiences, thoughts, regrets?

For reference on a 45 foot average depth dive off Roatan, on a single AL80 I can do about 45-50 minutes. Closer to 55 minutes if I've been diving a lot before I go, or the last couple of days after a weeks worth of diving.

Soooo, my ticket is purchased and reservations made at Blue Lagoon for October, planning is all about the really important stuff now; to dive a single tank maybe slinging a 30 or 40, or get just take the plunge and side mount trained? Experiences, thoughts, regrets?

For reference on a 45 foot average depth dive off Roatan, on a single AL80 I can do about 45-50 minutes. Closer to 55 minutes if I've been diving a lot before I go, or the last couple of days after a weeks worth of diving.

45-50 minutes has been about my average dive time in Truk, with a few much shorter than that and none longer than 58 minutes. You could always wear a 100 if you need a little more air. You won't be swimming very far or fast and there's usually no current to speak of. We dove the San Francisco on 100's and had a ton of air left over.

OK I missed that 100s are available :wink: that's a great option.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom