Truk Lagoon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jerryn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just got back from Truk (the locals call it Chuuk). I spent a week of diving there. I wanted to do deep wrecks and go some of the places where others don't dive. Also there is a wreck there, the San Francisco Maru. You hit the deck at 165 and there are tanks on the main deck and trucks in the forward hold which is a common place for recreational divers to bounce on air. It is 206' to the sand. I wanted to spend time on the wreck, penetrate and see what was there, have a clear head and be prepared for deco. So I needed a tech outfitter. I have resisted Truk for four years because there really was no one who could support my diving.

The liveaboards, Odyssey (which gets rave reviews), Thorfin (just rebuilt and remodeled -- very nice) and Aggressor (sometimes) don't support tech diving or much variation in the dive program from what the majority of the boat wants to do and the standard set of wrecks. The standard set is pretty awesome and they have plenty of customers who want this so it makes sense. But they were not interested in what I had in mind. So I ended up with the only tech operation in truk, the TrukStop.

The short story is, good food, good rooms, great support, incredible diving, dove my program. Among the dives were three on the San Francisco to 206, 206 and 198 including deep into the cargo holds. I have never seen so much live ordenance. Stacks of mines 20' high, stacks of howitzer shells, a howitzer, depth charges, tank shells all kinds of stuff that goes boom. I also got to the Aikoku 208' which has had half of the wreck blown off and is also incredible, and another seldom dove deep destroyer at 210'. In addition I was able to spend several days on Truk's signature wrecks doing long deco dives and poking around deep into the wreck.

This is an expensive trip, but not too expensive. The land based operations seem to be a little cheaper. I escaped for about $3K with He, O2, sorb, tank rental the diving, room and board. If you are looking for trimix and are on open circuit, you are looking at a lot more money. He is expensive in Truk. But the gases are there and you can dive the mix that you want.

There is a lot in Truk for every level of diver. I only have the experience of one operator but the others seem to have good reputations. I think the local dive guides do not understand the concept of dive within you limits. It is up to you to tell them what you are and are not comfortable with. My friend Sam had to tell his guy a number of times that he was not going in a particular room or passage.

But this is a great trip for anyone who loves wrecks. 6 days, 9 shipwrecks, 3 airplane wrecks, 16 dives == totally awesome.

Jerry

Thanks for the report... I'm heading there in 99 days to dive off the Odyssey. I'm really looking forward to it.

You are going to have a great time. The Odyssey is supposed to be fantastic. Two wrecks you will do are the Shinkoku and the Fujikawa. On the Shinkoku if you go in the forward superstructure you will see a room lined with portholes. There is a surgeons table towards one corner and someone has placed human remains on it. There are saki bottle and medicine bottles all around.

On the Fujikawa take the time to go off the bow and look back. There are schooling fish out there and the bow is one of the most beautiful ones you will see. These two wrecks are really great. Wish I were going back

Jerry

I was there this summer. I spent a month diving the cental pacific. I did a week on the Odyssey. It's a great time. Buy the wreck slates they sell. They help you find all of the real interesting stuff. The dive briefings are great, but it's easy to forget all of the highlights (when narced on a 500 ft wreck!)

I was there this summer. I spent a month diving the cental pacific. I did a week on the Odyssey. It's a great time. Buy the wreck slates they sell. They help you find all of the real interesting stuff. The dive briefings are great, but it's easy to forget all of the highlights (when narced on a 500 ft wreck!)

Helium rocks.

Jerry

I'm doing this trip on the Odyssey Jan 2011. Apparently the boat gets reserved really quick.

Two years to get ready. Looking forward to it.

Thanks for the report... I'm heading there in 99 days to dive off the Odyssey. I'm really looking forward to it.

You're going to love the Odessey. Been there twice and its been fantastic. The crew are very considerate about each diver. They also have doubles, and din setups for the techies and they will mix gases for you as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom