True underwater digital camera availability?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mach2plus

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all. Sorry if this is a repeat thread. I presently use a Canon A620 with the Canon WC90 for underwater photography, and used to have a Nikonis many years ago. Bought my present setup to tide me over, believing that the 35mm film format (SLR types) would be going the way of the dinosaur in a few years, and that I'd wait to spend the big bucks when a true underwater digital (meaning no uw housing required) with interchangable lenses came available.

Anyone have any information regarding what may be presently available or on the not to distant horizon?

Best regards to all -- Mach

What do you have in mind?

Nikonos Vd or Nikonos RSd?

I dont believe in any of those... on the compact size of thing, I dont believe in a Nikonos Vd, though it is much more probable. Its just that the compacts with these little housings are sooooo pratical and stylish.
The Nikonos RS was a GREAT investment in the film era, doubtly paid... dont think that there will be anything like it in the next few (5-10) years, especially with the high number of people going compact.
If you really liked your Nikonos V (I still have mine) and take UWPhoto seriously, I suggest getting used to digital with your compact, then think about upgrading to a housed DSLR. Not only your UWP would improve but also your topside photography... ever thought of it?

I doubt that there will ever be a DSLR that will not require a housing. The problem is the limited number of U/W photographers. Even now, there are a limited number of housings available for the most popular models of DSLR. It's almost a hand made operation because of limited numbers. I think the big camera manufacturers have little interest in devoting the time and R&D to such a small market.

But who knows?

I second what Diver Dennis just said. There's no market for a high end dedicated underwater camera. If you just think of changing objectives (that tube thingie with a lens :)). All objectives should be designed for underwater use since they need to be water proof. There should be a new kind of way to attach objective to camera and so on. All this is just too costy for such a small market. There was much talk about wether or not olympus and it's new dedicated digital objectives will get anywhere and there's so much more digital slr users than u/w photographers.

Briefly get a dslr and a housing if you want to be able to do it all u/w :)

Well, we may as well start the mass petition for the digital Nikonos now, since it may be awhile anyway.... :D

pterantula:
Well, we may as well start the mass petition for the digital Nikonos now, since it may be awhile anyway.... :D

I would love it... but I cannot held my thoughts. Nikonos V had no connection (other than phisical) between lens-body.
These days, digital lenses have a great deal of comm between lens/body, complicated thing to build, and will sell to very few people.
The camera/housing/adapter stile these compacts use are hard to beat, and even more so when you add the bigger market of a dry camera, wich is a pitty for those (like me) that value image quality.

What Nikon could do IMHO, is add a line of compacts with A and M modes, and some nice WA and Macro adapters for its line of WP-CP housings.

Diver Dennis:
I doubt that there will ever be a DSLR that will not require a housing. The problem is the limited number of U/W photographers. Even now, there are a limited number of housings available for the most popular models of DSLR.

Is there a Canon or Nikon you can't get a housing for?:wink:

I recently bought a Canon A620 with housing because I was unwilling to pay the price for a housing for my Nikon D70. However, after using A620 underwater I was missing my D70.

I too wish there was a digital version of the Nikonos (by any manufacturer). The first underwater camera I ever used was a Nikonos 3 (its been awhile since I've done UWP). When I recently started looking for an underwater camera I was disappointed not to find one.

I should clarify. I meant that they do not have large stocks of most housings. They tend to do small production runs.

TankBoy, Denis...
You are discussing an interesting point.
As I recall back in good-old-film days, one aspiring to go UW and shoot had all kinds of choices, from the very cheap camera bags (I call them rain bags...) to a housed ProSLR (F5). As I see it now from my students, you have the very cheap digital-compact option or the very expensive DSLR setup.
Some students spend less than I spend on a lens to buy an acrylic housing for their DC(DigiCompact) and some flash to go UW, and even thoug they sometimes feel limited by their gear they are afraid to jump to something better.
One point I never seem tired to tell them is that once you go DSLR, all the lenses, ports, arms, and even strobes are long-term investments, a thing they are not used to due to the fast market digital changes. They spend 500 bucks in equipment that becomes old very fast, and are scared to death of spending 3 grand on a equipment that they will be able to adapt every now and then.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom