troubling drawback to 1st-stage Auto Closure Devices ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubafanatic

Contributor
Reaction score
.....it appears the newest fad in regs is the 1st-stage ACD (Aqualung / Oceanic ) have recently introduced what, at first glance, appear to be great ideas....however, I've read multiple reports of regs so equipped making constant, alarming squeaks/noises :

http://www.divernet.com/cgi-bin/articles.pl?id=5250&section=1002&action=display&show=
(from the Oct '06 Divernet mag)

...also, our trip leader/DM for my 08/06 Bonaire trip used his Oceanic reg and it too made non-stop 'distress' noises.....like something was wrong with it, and although he never actually had any reg trouble, I, for one, would certainly never dive a reg that sounded like that!

...my question is: are wierd, distressful noises an inevitable byproduct of ACD technology or are these events representing an immature technology that simply needs further refinement ?

Karl

Just another attemp to make a fool proof device to try and out smart the exceptionally talented fool. Most attemps result in failure

I know 8 people who dive the ACD. They all love it, and haven't complained about noise. Was interesting reading this, as I just ordered one.

I have a Legend with an ACD, and it now has close to 50 dives on it. It breathes smoothe and easy, and quietly too, every time. I would totally recommend it. And for those of you who are DIR-minded, it removes the need for keeping those pesky dust caps handy for rinsing after the dive!

Womble:
I have a Legend with an ACD, and it now has close to 50 dives on it. It breathes smoothe and easy, and quietly too, every time. I would totally recommend it. And for those of you who are DIR-minded, it removes the need for keeping those pesky dust caps handy for rinsing after the dive!

Well, I don't know about DIR but it doesn't seem to make much sense to add a part to the reg which serves no part of the regs actual function because some people can't rinse them right. From a functional point of view I'd worry about the potential for the thing to impede air flow having some background with valves, I have doubts about it's reliability even as far as keeping water out.

BTW, the best way to rinse a reg is with it attatched to a tank and pressurized. Then you not only know that you aren't going to get any water directly into the first stage through the valve port but you don't have to worry about getting any in through the second stage either.

I've had a Legend ACD for about 10 months now. I have 35 dives on it so far. Haven't had a single problem with it.

Though most of the reg manufacturers using auto-closure systems caution that you still have to use a dustcap with them - the auto closure is intended as a backup, not the primary seal.

BTW, the Aqualung and Oceanic systems work quite differently from each other. The AL ACD is operated mechanically, with the AC valve being pushed open by the valve face, so it stays wide open as long as the regulator is attached to the valve. Oceanic's system in pneumatically operated, by the tank pressure pushing a spring loaded poppet open, so that the poppet actually is opening and closing with each breath. giving it more opportunity to make odd noises.

Womble:
And for those of you who are DIR-minded, it removes the need for keeping those pesky dust caps handy for rinsing after the dive!

Well, I for one feel that this is probably a nice feature for brand new divers who might be prone to making the mistake of dunking their new reg without the dust cap on. For more experienced divers or technical divers I think it is an unnecessary feature that probably carries more risk of failure without any added benefit.

I don't know about the noise, but if I were buying a new regulator and this was an optional feature I personally would choose not to have it installed on my first stage.

Having said all of that, it is probably a really good idea for rental regs.

Mark Vlahos

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom