Trouble with SDA after flying

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Socke

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello at all,

I went from Germany to Egypt by plane. After landing, I recognized that my SDA is in dive mode at a constant depth of 2.5m.
It´s not possible to connect the device to my Notebook as long as it is "diving". When I dived in the Red Sea, the functions of the SDA were normal, except the depth, that was always 2.5m more then real. And after descend the UEMIS won´t go into surface mode. It was still diving on it´s 2.5m.

Back at home I´m on a higher location (about 700m) and the SDA is still diving, but now in a depth of 1.5m.

Any idea how one can reset the SDA without contact to a computer? Tomorrow I´ll try to go on a higher hill in the hope the SDA will end its "dive" and I will then be able to connect it to a computer to install the latest firmware again.

What else could I do??

Seems like there's a pressure offset therefore, the offset will remain as long as the unit is powered. You should just wait for your SDA to have its battery flat and then it will probably go back to normal operation.

This is exactly what I thoght. And I did so. But when I put the SDA to power again it just remains in dive mode. So there is no chance to reset or to reupload the latest firmeware update.
I´m very upset about this.

I think the pressure sensor has been damaged or probably destroyed during the flight in low pressure hight.

I searched the internet but I didn´t found anybody else having the same problem.

Really?!?!?! You would trust your computer after it did such a thing? Just reset it and dive on?

Sorry . . . . IMO, if the little f'er fails, I want that sucker to FAIL . . . not oops.

How did you transport your SDA on the plane? In its case or in hard box (pelican case)?

I flew with it several times and not had an issue.

Really?!?!?! You would trust your computer after it did such a thing? Just reset it and dive on?
Many computers when you power them on calibrate their sensors to the ambiant pressure to 0m. That's why it's not a good thing to jump into the water without powering on a dive computer. People sometimes have found offset in many different DC brands because the computers actually powered on while the diver was already deeper than the surface. Getting a 1 or 2m offset in that case does not imply there's something wrong with the sensor.

How did you transport your SDA on the plane? In its case or in hard box (pelican case)?

I transported it in its orignial soft case within the normal luggage, not in the cabin during the flight to Egypt. On the way back I had the SDA in my backpack in the cabin.

I transported it in its orignial soft case within the normal luggage, not in the cabin during the flight to Egypt. On the way back I had the SDA in my backpack in the cabin.

There is no pressure difference between the luggage compartments and the passenger compartments on airliners. They are pressurized to 8000 ft or lower at altitude. I don't think the flight caused your problem.

Baggage handling is another story. Your computer may have been damaged by your luggage being dropped or something heavy being dropped on it.

Another possibility may be that the computer failed during the flight for reasons unrelated to cabin altitudes experienced during flight. I've read some posts where people's Uemis computer failed for no apparent reason.

I've had my Uemis on two flights to Florida and a trip to Cozumel with no problems yet. Keeping my fingers crossed that it will last for a few years.

Ron

I solved the problem!!
:D :D :D

I did what I wrote above. I took the SDA, my notebook and my handy into my car and drove up the highest mountain arround here. Reaching 1200m the SDA switched from dive mode to surface mode and I was able to connect it to the computer. Using a very slow UMTS internet connection I could first click the button "Change Owner", than "Restore" and after that "Synchronize".
After all loading and updating was done my SDA completely ok.

Wow, sometimes one have to have much luck.

Next time I will fly I´ll take my old Suunto Gekko. It works and works and works..... :)

One of my friends had very the same problem, also discharging and charging again did not help. After exchanging emails with Uemis support and sending back the SDA, it has been replaced.

Back
Top Bottom