Trouble with Bauer Junior 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rmarsh3309

Registered
Reaction score
After replacing the P2 filter cartridge on my Jr 2 the unit constantly vents air from the 3rd stage relief. The air is streaming out of two holes right under the "Vent/Operate" knob at the top of the filter assembly. Here's what I've done so far:

1. Made certain the knob is not turned to "vent"
2. Removed/replaced the filter to ensure it is properly seated and "snapped into" the bottom of the filter housing.
3. Disassembled the relief valve to check for dirt, corrosion and broken spring.
4. Sat and stared at it hoping it would fix itself because I'm anchored in a beautiful, remote area of Tonga with no compressor!

By the way, I've found it extremely difficult to get the filter housing top to screw down securely. It almost seems like the threads are mangled - but they look just fine. The first time I removed it last year I thought I missed a set screw or something. Anybody else have difficulties with the filter housing lid?

Extremely grateful for any thoughts or advise...

My cartridges have a plastic plug that needs to be snapped off and removed from one end. The previous owner had not realized this. could this be your issue?

My cartridges have a plastic plug that needs to be snapped off and removed from one end. The previous owner had not realized this. could this be your issue?

I don't remember removing a cap from the end of the cartridge. I'll go look right now....

"Vent/Operate" knob at the top of the filter assembly.

next time do full clockwise anticlockwise whilst charged until it frees up

3. Disassembled the relief valve to check for dirt, corrosion and broken spring.

here's the thing, it's a bit counterintuitive as the adjusting pin locates against the middle of the seat face
full.jpg

you can buy the cupped spring washers individually at the engineering shop if any are broken

Anybody else have difficulties with the filter housing lid?

toothbrush on plenty Weicon white coloured anti seize high tech assembly paste type stuff when it's tight

Yes. The bottom plug. Those plugs have cost me thousands of dollars.

The plug in a mako, not Bauer, will make the cartridge too tall and will split it down the side, contaminating your liveaboard air system and 24 divers regulators with oil, meaning the boat comes home early and you have to refund the trip and pay to service everyone’s gear, not to mention O2 cleaning 12 bank bottles and a mile of stainless tubing.

oh and all these years later I hurt inside for your misery. that had ta suuuuuuck.

happy-diver you are legend!

I turned the vent knob back and forth from end to end. No change. Then I hooked a tank up and tried it again with 1500 psi in the system. Something settled into place because the leaks stopped.

We just got back from a great dive thanks to you!

Hi
You can get a service kit for your relief valve.
valve seat [small brass bit]
Outer seat housing
O ring for outer housing
Bauer N24186

They are not cheap
Bauer want you to order a full replacement unit.
Good place to look is ebay uk site
Ex surplus valves can be found new old stock

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom