Tropical Wetsuits for Women

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kjqtpi

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello! This is my first post to ScubaBoard, and I'm hoping for some sage advice...

I live in Papua New Guinea, and have been diving (on the whole) in my lycra/rashguard suit with little issue. I've noticed that, for me, some of the further out or deeper sites get a bit chilly, especially on the 2nd or 3rd dive of the day. I'm shopping around for something a bit more hearty and need some advice. I got a Bare 1mm women's suit before coming over here, but it's a pain to put on...has a rubbery/plastic-y lining that sticks when putting it on. It's minimally better when putting it on in the water, but that's a hassle i want to avoid.

The Aussies I've gone out with have Sharkskin brand suits, which look nice with their fleece lining and seem easy to put on, but are very pricey ($300AUD per suit!!).

I've also looked at the Henderson Microprene 2 1.5mm and the Pinnacle Shadow 2 1.5mm for women, which both look nice, but I have no basis for comparison. Also wondering if I'm silly to buy something so thin...

Also considering 2-2.5mm suits, like the Cressi Summer or Bahia which would be more utilitarian for diving around the south pacific and might help more with fluctuating conditions.

Maybe there are others that are better? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

The catch is: I don't have the ability to try any of these on...I have to choose and order one or two and either have them delivered overseas or have a friend bring them in when traveling to PNG on business.

Thank you in advance for your help!! :D

~Kelly

At the 4/3mm exposure thickenss and thinner, if the water is around 80F or 26C (pool temp) you don't really need exposure protection for anything other than long deep dives, or repetitive dives. I assume you can comfortabley strip from your suit and sit warm on the boat in the sun.

In this case getting a surf suit, or a non-diving suit is a not an issue (cheaper too). The neoprene will compress and not re-expand after your first dive to say below 50ft. So a 4/3mm will become a 3/2mm after taking it to 90ft (Which happened to me). Still plenty warm wearing booties and 1mm gloves in the 80F waters; 3 dives a day to 80ft. Air temp was about 90F though, except for that one stormy day.

Get one without a skin in lining (such as semi-drys or the Bare suit you tried). You don't need plush or fleece lining, although it makes it mildly easier to put on (I stress mildly). If you have trouble putting your suit on, get your skin and suit wet, or use very watered down conditioner on your limbs and joints; you'll only need a little.

My tropical suit is a Bare Velocity 2/3. I've worn it on dives as cold as 59 degrees F (but I would recommend getting a thicker suit for cold water) and in water 80 deg F. I wear a tropical suit in warm water for protection from scrapes, jellyfish more than warmth. The Bare suit is very stretchy and comfortable with 3 mil thickness in the body and 2 mil for the arms/legs. Check www.leisurepro.com they usually have some good deals and you can have customers who have bought specific items reply to questions.

Happy diving!
- Kirstin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom