tropical diving ccr issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DrySuitDave

Contributor
Reaction score
Los Angeles, where the debris meets the sea
Gang,

Sooner or later I am going to be able to take off and go to some exotic tropical dive location with the turtle, but until then, I have some questions.

Obviously if I can avoid buying a wetsuit to dive tropical that would be nice, but do any of you use your drysuits for 80 degree type water temps but just significantly reduce your undergarments?

Also, for those with Inspirations or CCR's with cordura nylon style counterlungs, does diving tropical without a hood cause lots of skin issues associated with the counterlungs rubbing on the side of your neck where it is unprotected by the now absent hood?

A good thin wetsuit is going to cost a couple hundred dollars, plus I tend to get cold the one time I dove tropical in Fiji awhile ago......so am seeing if drysuits are still viable.

Hi Dave,

I live in florida and dive my drysuit year round, generally wear a long sleeve t and shorts. No problem. Get the suit wet as soon as you get it on or it will get hot waiting for the drop. If I over heat during a dive a generally flood it abit.

No problems without a hood either.

Take the drysuit. You maybe able to just simply dive in shorts and a T without the suit if its that warm if not the drysuit will work I'm assuming its a shell from your picture

DrySuitDave:
Gang,

Sooner or later I am going to be able to take off and go to some exotic tropical dive location with the turtle, but until then, I have some questions.

Obviously if I can avoid buying a wetsuit to dive tropical that would be nice, but do any of you use your drysuits for 80 degree type water temps but just significantly reduce your undergarments?

Also, for those with Inspirations or CCR's with cordura nylon style counterlungs, does diving tropical without a hood cause lots of skin issues associated with the counterlungs rubbing on the side of your neck where it is unprotected by the now absent hood?

A good thin wetsuit is going to cost a couple hundred dollars, plus I tend to get cold the one time I dove tropical in Fiji awhile ago......so am seeing if drysuits are still viable.

I never had any issues with irritation from the CL.. I chose to use a 1 piece 3mm in warm water.. I tried the drysuit thing and was too hot even without undergarments..
I have never gotten cold even on 4 hour dives..]

If you end up working in a current the loop gets VERY warm.. I had a situation this year down in puerto rico, the water temp was 80ish and I got stuck with a nasty current while swimming in (I was at 200+) on helium.. My loop was so hot I was debating If I was going to bail to OC scuba just to cool down A bit.. I decided on unzipping my wetsuit and letting in some fresh water..

You should be able to get a good suit for 200ish...

I hope this helps..

Hey Dave....as we have discussed numerous times on the boat...when we go to Micronesia, the Carribean or Indonesia we generally wear anything from a .5mm to a 3mm suit. It sure beats using a dry suit!!

DrySuitDave:
Gang,

They are - but depending on where you are diving you may not even need a wetsuit.

I have a very low ability to take cold, I dive year round mostly Indonesia, Malaysia and Philipines but Ive also taken my unit to Micronesia. A 3mm is fine for long duration dives in these places and locally they can be picked up for about US100.

Or just use the drysuit - you wont need any undergarments but most 'cold water' divers I know dont bring their drysuits over when they visit to dive our warm waters.

Never had problems with sore neck.

Cheers
Mike

Hi Dave,
A DS is always a viable option but would you really want to use it? For me one of the joys of warm water diving is the reduced amount of equipment I need to drag around and put on and the ability to be in the water in seconds flat! Just imagine sliding through the water like a baby seal with your YBOD:D

Chris

I understand that Whites is now making a tropical dry suit with very thin fabric, I would think that a cold water drysuit would be stifiling in the warm water, I have taken my drysuit into the pool on occasion (bouyancy checks/tech training/RB testing/divemaster gear switching) and Im usually sweating/dying by the time I get out. I have 4 wetsuits and 2 drysuits and much experience in both warm and cold water. The biggest joy of warm water is the lack of gear-up time and STUFF, i just love my 3mil for warm water diving, I paid about 60-150 for my wetsuits, 2 shortys, 2 full lengths. if water temp is near 75-80 or above where you are going, Id suggest leaving the drysuit at home. my 2cents.

My 2 cents also, I dove a Henderson 3mm shortie in Cayman in 81 - 82 degree water. Was very comfy, not too hot, not too cold. Many folks out there were in full wetsuits looking to be 2 or 3mm. Better protection from abrasions, stings etc. with the full. I think I paid $60 - $80 for mine online.

DrySuitDave:
Gang,

Dave,
My suit is a harvey's 3mm titanium it is extremely confortable to wear.

http://www.harveys-divesuits.com/warmwater/action_suit.asp?cat=BZ Action Jumpsuits

I don't see the exact model anymore, but I can say I am very happy with it. Its much more confortable than the henderson it replaced..

Back
Top Bottom