Tropical Depression 26W Warning Micronesia --Forecast Possible Cat 2 Typhoon by Sat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kevrumbo

Banned
Reaction score
South Santa Monica Bay/Los Angeles California, USA
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Not looking good for Yap for this Sat 01Dec. . .

http://www.prh.noaa.gov/images/guam/frTrack1.jpg

Wednesday expecting winds to 45mph and heavy rain here on Weno/Chuuk.
I'm scheduled to leave Chuuk on Thurs 29 Nov PM and later to Cairns in the evening --it's going to be an interesting flight. . .

Map should auto update...

wp201226_5day.gif

Oh man. . . not looking good at all for Koror/Palau either.

Get ready & prepared --good luck & regards to all my buddies over there. . .

This should be interesting, I'm scheduled to fly out to Palau this week for two weeks....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now known as Bohpa, a Cambodian girl name for flower, altho the word has a totally different meaning in Africa, and the locals may use a different name for the storm. Also now expected to make Cat-3.

Weno Chuuk at the Truk Stop Hotel 3rd Floor: Gray overcast day 9am Wed 28Nov, moderate winds out of the west --no rain just yet. Calm before the storm?

All private sailing vessels fled yesterday to either sheltered anchorages in the atoll or out to sea to outrun Tropical Storm Bophal (Good Luck Tim & Charles going south & west in the catamaran Camissa -make way fast!). . .

Maybe time to get out of dodge. It's hard to land an airplane in Chuck period much less 40 plus knots of wind. Good chance the flight will cancel.

Good chance the flight will cancel.

That's what I'm hoping.... I'd much rather be stuck in LA than an airport somewhere.... but I guess it's just another adventure :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe time to get out of dodge. It's hard to land an airplane in Chuck period much less 40 plus knots of wind. Good chance the flight will cancel.
Have you checked your arriving airline's site to see if they are allowing free ticket changes? They often do before a storm.

Well . . .I'll have a front row seat at the Chuuk Int'l Airport tomorrow Thurs 29Nov at 2pm, watching the landing attempt if the United Island Hopper does decide to fly the route. . . Going to Guam, and Cairns Australia later tomorrow night --gonna be one helluva rollercoaster "vomit-comet" ride if it goes.

Rather be taking off than landing in such conditions :confused: !

---------- Post added November 28th, 2012 at 05:14 AM ----------

Truk Stop Hotel 2300 hrs Wed 28Nov: Tropical Storm watch advisory has ended for Chuuk Lagoon as Bopha's strong center is 175 miles to the south and moving off west at 14mph.

...WIND INFORMATION...
DAMAGING WINDS ARE NO LONGER EXPECTED WITHIN THE VICINITY OF LOSAP
AND THE CHUUK LAGOON ISLANDS. NORTHEAST WINDS OF 15 TO 25 MPH WITH
GUSTS TO 30 MPH IN HEAVIER SHOWERS THIS EVENING WILL SHIFT TO EAST
BY MIDNIGHT THEN SOUTHEAST ON THURSDAY MORNING. WINDS WILL THEN
DIMINISH TO 10 TO 20 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 25 MPH THURSDAY AFTERNOON.

...STORM SURGE AND SURF INFORMATION...
WAVES GENERATED BY TROPICAL STORM BOPHA WILL BUILD TO 8 TO 11 FEET
TONIGHT...RESULTING IN HAZARDOUS SURF OF 10 TO 13 FEET ALONG EASTERN
AND SOUTHERN SHORES. INUNDATION OF UP TO 1 FOOT COULD OCCUR AT HIGH
TIDE.
WTPQ31 PGUM 281255TCPPQ1BULLETINTROPICAL STORM BOPHA (26W) INTERMEDIATE ADVISORY NUMBER 11ANATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TIYAN GU WP2620121100 PM CHST WED NOV 28 2012...TROPICAL STORM BOPHA (26W) CONTINUES WESTWARD TOWARD YAP STATE... A TROPICAL STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR LUKUNOR AND THE SOUTHERN MORTLOCKS IN CHUUK STATE...PULUWAT IN CHUUK STATE AND SATAWAL IN YAP STATE.A TYPHOON WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR WOLEAI IN YAP STATE.A TROPICAL STORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR FARAULEP IN YAP STATE.A TROPICAL STORM WARNING MEANS TROPICAL STORM CONDITIONS...INCLUDING DAMAGING WINDS OF 39 TO 73 MPH...ARE EXPECTED WITHIN 24 HOURS. A TYPHOON WATCH MEANS THAT TYPHOON CONDITIONS INCLUDING SUSTAINED WINDS GREATER THAN 73 MPH ARE POSSIBLE WITHIN 48 HOURS.A TROPICAL STORM WATCH MEANS THAT TROPICAL STORM CONDITIONS... INCLUDING DAMAGING WINDS OF 39 TO 73 MPH...ARE POSSIBLE WITHIN 48 HOURS.AT 10 PM CHST...1200Z...THE CENTER OF TROPICAL STORM BOPHA WAS LOCATED NEAR LATITUDE 5.0 DEGREES NORTH AND LONGITUDE 152.1 DEGREES EAST. THIS IS ABOUT 135 MILES WEST-SOUTHWEST OF LUKUNOR 175 MILES SOUTH OF WENO ISLAND CHUUK 255 MILES SOUTHEAST OF PULUWAT 380 MILES EAST-SOUTHEAST OF SATAWAL 575 MILES EAST-SOUTHEAST OF FARAULEP AND 585 MILES EAST-SOUTHEAST OF WOLEAI.TROPICAL STORM BOPHA IS MOVING WEST AT 10 MPH. THIS GENERAL MOTION IS EXPECTED TO CONTINUE OVER THE NEXT 24 HOURS. MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE 65 MPH. TROPICAL STORM BOPHA IS EXPECTED TO CONTINUE INTENSIFYING LATE TONIGHT AND THURSDAY...AND MAY BECOME A TYPHOON THURSDAY AFTERNOON. TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 50 MILES FROM THE CENTER.REPEATING THE 10 PM POSITION...5.0 DEGREES NORTH LATITUDE AND 152.1 DEGREES EAST LONGITUDE...MOVING WEST AT 10 MPH WITH MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS OF 65 MPH.THE NEXT SCHEDULED ADVISORY WILL BE ISSUED BY THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE AT 2 AM EARLY THURSDAY MORNING FOLLOWED BY AN INTERMEDIATE ADVISORY AT 5 AM CHST.$$STANKO

---------- Post added November 28th, 2012 at 02:42 PM ----------

Truk Stop Hotel 830am Thurs 29Nov: heavy rain squalls with moderate winds, gusts to 25mph --visibility variable though 2 to 4 miles (I can barely make out the runway at Chuuk Int'l Airport at times). Flight status of Island Hopper UA154 shows leaving Honolulu to Majuro 16min late; currently enroute from Majuro to Kwajalein and scheduled to arrive in Chuuk 130pm after stops in Kosrae & Pohnpei, final destination Guam around 4pm.

---------- Post added November 28th, 2012 at 11:48 PM ----------

Flew out of Chuuk 2pm Thurs 29Nov, in clearing conditions, up northwest to Guam. Will be crossing ahead of Bopha's path this evening 9pm as United UA98 flies down south to Cairns Australia.

Good Luck Palau & The Philippines --prepare for the worst; hope & pray for the best. . .:(

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom