Triton Bay + Raja Ampat on Damai or Triton Bay + Banda Sea + Ambon Bay On Dewi Nusantara?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm trying to book a trip to the indonesia area on two of the best liveaboards there and need some advice. The two routes I'm considering are Triton Bay + Raja Ampat on the Damai (route below):

http://www.dive-damai.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Sorong-to-Kaimana.jpg

OR

Triton Bay + Banda Sea + Ambon Bay on the Dewi.

I'm unfamiliar with those areas so could use some help picking where to go. In general I love wide angle stuff -- think sharks, whale sharks, manta rays, big octopus, large schools of fish, etc.

I would say I'm kind of meh on macro stuff (small critters) but do enjoy the occasional variety. What I hate is muck diving (dead corals and mud everywhere). Just not my thing.

Based on my preferences, what would people recommend between those two routes? What would be a better experience in terms of large density of marine life, and big schools of fish and stuff?

It's ok if there is 1 or 2 muck dives, just dont' want macro and muck dives to be a focus of the area/multi day itinerary.

Need some help for people who've been to those regions! Thanks :)

Hi,

I'm trying to book a trip to the indonesia area on two of the best liveaboards there and need some advice. The two routes I'm considering are Triton Bay + Raja Ampat on the Damai (route below):

http://www.dive-damai.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Sorong-to-Kaimana.jpg

OR

Triton Bay + Banda Sea + Ambon Bay on the Dewi.

I'm unfamiliar with those areas so could use some help picking where to go. In general I love wide angle stuff -- think sharks, whale sharks, manta rays, big octopus, large schools of fish, etc.

I would say I'm kind of meh on macro stuff (small critters) but do enjoy the occasional variety. What I hate is muck diving (dead corals and mud everywhere). Just not my thing.

Based on my preferences, what would people recommend between those two routes? What would be a better experience in terms of large density of marine life, and big schools of fish and stuff?

It's ok if there is 1 or 2 muck dives, just dont' want macro and muck dives to be a focus of the area/multi day itinerary.

Need some help for people who've been to those regions! Thanks :)

All Star Liveaboards is offering a special Triton Bay itinerary - November 9-21, 2021. This itinerary starts in Ambon and ends in Sorong visiting Ambon Bay, Banda Sea, Triton Bay and Misool/Raja Ampat. This is being offered aboard the brand new - All Star Velocean. Velocean will be splashing in the water this week and run its first trip in April.

88369652_1397053543810110_2358540402509742080_n.jpg 88964974_1397053533810111_5685135913500278784_o.jpg 88212635_1397053527143445_1006560512491651072_o.jpg

Book Now - All Star Indonesia

Attachments

• Velocean - Triton Bay .pdf
    154.8 KB · Views: 95
As per your likes and dislikes I would do the Triton - Raja on the Damai. Damai is an awesome boat with fantastic service!

Both itineraries are great but if you like Mantas and huge schools of fish I would stick with Raja. If lucky you will see whalesharks in Triton (and if really lucky dolphins)

I don't know what cruise director is on the Dewi for that trip, but the one we had in December told me that she would not do the dives in Banda that have the hammers because she doesn't want the responsibility of taking client in current. So they only dive slack and not the popular hammer dives.

I’ve been to all except Triton. Based on what you’re looking for, keep to Triton and Raja. Banda doesn’t have the density and reef life that Raja has but they do have schooling hammerheads depending on the time of year but sightings are not guaranteed or viz may get in the way and you can see a few. Diving is overall much better in Raja as far as reef life, color, density, variety. Large schools, so much action. You don’t even know where to look! Ambon is macro focused though there’s some reef diving depending on time of year. If you like big, avoid Ambon.

I speak from having had 9 days in Ambon, 12 days doing the Banda crossing, and 19 days in Raja (returning for more in 2 weeks!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom