Trip this spring...suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Arkman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My wife and I are planning to take our first real vacation together. Originally we planned on doing a Sandals resort. We like the idea of all inclusive but I've been on a few cruises so I wanted to try something else. Sandals seemed like a good option. Originally I wasn't planning on doing a ton of diving but I'm hoping to do at least some.

I'm wondering two things.

What are your guys experience with the Sandals Resort? Probably Grand Ochos Rios. But we are open to others. I've read some bad things about sandals in general and even worse about their diving. Like I said I'm probably only going to dive a few times during the trip unless my wife is up for it, then maybe we will dive more together.

Are there any other all inclusive resorts like sandals that are better options? We are flexible on when we can go. Really anytime between February and the beginning of May. As I look at the sandals trips we can do something for about $3500 for 6 nights and that includes air. We could spend a little more if it was really worth it but we'd like to keep it close to that price point. We have looked at the couples resorts but they are a bit more expensive and not as flexible with the dates of their "deals".

Any other suggestions you guys have I'm open to it.

Thanks!

You should easily be able to do a trip like you are talking about in Cozumel for that price point and even less from Minn. There are some very nice AI resorts and you could just add on the diving as you like. I would expect you could do a 7 night package at some nice places for around $2000 for two and up.

Any place in particular you can think of? It seems there is so much info on the net its hard to weed through and get what I'm looking for.

Cozumel Palace - Probably one of the nicest places in Cozumel. It gets great reviews and a short walk to town. Should still be just under your price point for two. I have not stayed at this Palace property but have others and they are incredible.

Wyndham Cozumel Resort & Spa
Occidental Grand Cozumel
Aura Cozumel Wyndham Grand Bay

I can't speak to Sandals, but I can say something about two, all-inclusive Caribbean Club Meds that emphasize diving (note, however, that diving is not included in the "all-inclusive" package). One is on Providenciales in Turks and Caicos and the other on San Salvador, in the Bahamas (resort known as Columbus Isle). Search in this subforum for more info. My wife and I have been to both places twice each. Our first post-cert diving was at Columbus Isle. The diving there is really pretty good and, IMHO, consistently better than the sites visited by the Club Med dive operation at T&C, although there are exceptions.

The boats used by Club Med can handle 40 people. Divers fall into two categories, buddy divers on their own and divers with instructors or just being led by a divemaster. Thus, there tend to be multiple small groups of 5-8 people and there are typically about the same number of buddy divers. The senior DM of the boat generally does the briefing for buddy divers, while the DM or instructor for each group does its briefing.

Most dives last about 45 min. However, if you are a buddy diver, this is easily extended to an hour by being the first in and last out of the water. In fact, buddy divers are usually urged to get off first. The two operations have been run well. We have had no complaints. I would consider them to have met all standards of safety and to have been high on the pleasantness scale. French bread, fruit, cheese and cold cuts are always served between the two AM dives.

The Club Meds are what they are. It is totally up to you whether or not you participate in the variety of activities offered. Over the years, I have played soccer against a team of locals on Guadeloupe, gone on the trapeze and snorkeled at T&C, shot arrows and done a drunken sailor's race at Punta Cana, and sailed at Ixtapa. There has been an increasing percentage of Club Med guests with graying hair. All ages seem to be there, particularly at T&C. A fairly high percentage of guests at Columbus Isle are French speakers from Canada or France. Not such a high percentage at T&C.

We like going to a Club Med every once in a while, but fully understand that they are not everyone's cup of tea. We are taking our full family, including grandchildren, to the Punta Cana Club Med in January and are very much looking forward to it, whether or not we dive.

I have stayed at a few Sandals resorts and I generally find the properties and service to be good to excellent. We have been to other places (not Sandals) like Cozumel (many times), Grand Cayman (several times), Fiji, Hawaii and the Bahamas. Considering all inclusives, my wife and I do like Sandals mostly because of the properties, the food is generally good (as compared to mid level Cozumel all inclusives) and the service is generally good. It is relaxing generally and not like some resorts where they think I want to hear thumping Salsa and Jimmy Buffet all day. We are not “Foodies” so it’s not critical that we have 5 star for that however Sandals does have more restaurants than most places.
If you have not done so already, see Tripadvisor.com for reviews of their resorts. The thing about Sandals and it’s reviews is that it seems to me that couples or one of them goes there with some expectation that isn’t met. If you are not high maintenance then the “peeves” won’t be a big deal.

We have been to Sandals Emerald Bay Exuma Bahamas, Royal Bahamian (New Providence) and Regency in St Lucia. See the trip report for Exuma at http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bahamas/343141-exuma-trip-report-long.html. See especially the last paragraph about Sandals diving. They say diving is included but everyone knows the cost has to be recovered somehow and it’s rolled into the room price but spread out amongst all guests (thx non-divers). If that kind of diving appeals to you (and there is nothing technically wrong with it) then by all means take advantage of it. I am pretty sure that all the Sandals dive ops are run the same way. You could ask via email. If you want more hardcore diving then going with an offsite dive op would be better. One thing about their dive op, their medical forms process is very strict. If you marked on the form that you were taking a prescription med they insist on having a written medical release. This means that if you check the yes box and have been prescribed an antifungal for athlete’s foot, you had better have a letter from your doctor or you won’t be diving. (or ask for a new form...)

I think the price you quoted including air for Sandals is a pretty good price especially including air (hopefully from Minn not Miami) although it does depend on room category. As BDSC said, you can get an all inclusive for less in Cozumel maybe including air in a package. I do recall charters running packages out of Minn direct to Cozumel that were very reasonable. These may not be couples only. If you want minimal kids around then plan accordingly for the time of year although some resorts in Cozumel are adults only. I think the Cozumel Palace is one of the best in Cozumel. Aura Cozumel Wyndham Grand Bay and maybe Sabor Resort Cozumel (though less restaurants here, not beachfront but cool pools with slides) are good for AI.
I don’t include the Wyndham hotel (though now adults only) as the rooms I think are small though in separate room clusters and not in the same category as those I mentioned above. We are members of the Reef Regency next door to the Wyndham hotel so I am familiar with the properties.

Other places I have had friends say are good:
Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
Iberostar chain
Anse Chastanet, St. Lucia - though this may be more than you wanted to pay
Beaches, Turks and Caicos - More family oriented and owned by Sandals

Others that I would look at:
Radisson and Wyndham AIs in the Caribbean
Club Med - Info posted above in this thread by lmorin

There are lots of all-inclusive resorts in Jamaica that include scuba in the package. Couples & Sandals are Couples only, and Breezes (Runaway Bay, Rio Bueno, & Negril) include scuba are adults only and these resorts also include gear (no computers or wet suits with any of them).

Right now Delta has some great packages from Fargo to Cozumel, but they do not include diving, which can be added to any package. Like the guy above says the Aura Cozumel is couples only, has a beach, is near the major dive sites, and is a class act.

Nassau Bahamas has good connections from Fargo. The Sandals includes scuba, and scuba is available when staying at the Breezes through Stuarts Cove.

Another option for good diving and all-inclusive is Breezes Curacao. They include a guided shore dive daily, with optional boat dives.Breezes Curacao offered by Scuba One Travel

Here are underwater photos I took in Jamaica while at the all-inclusive resorts.
Scuba One Travel - Runaway Bay Jamaica Underwater Photos

Sucba One Travel - Negril Jamaica Underwater photos

Here are underwater photos I took while at Breezes Curacao
Breezes Curacao offered by Scuba One Travel

Dive Couples - Couples Caribbean All Inclusive Resorts offered by Scuba One Travel

Back
Top Bottom