Trip Repot: PDC, Cozumel, Blue Angel - Jan 2008

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sbm

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hola!!!

I just got back from a 14 days vacation trip with my family... We stayed 5 days in Playacar at a beautiful bed and breakfast place owned by a German lady, situated just 10 minutes away from 5th avenue and 2 minutes away from the beach near a Mayan ruin. Here's the website, and trust me you'll get personal treatment at a fairly good price Casa de la cueva - Playa del Carmen - Playacar - Quintana Roo - Yucatan - Mexico - I dove with Luis from Playascuba (Playa Scuba Dive Center * Centro de Buceo * Tauchbase - Playa del Carmen, Mexico) to the Cenotes. He's a friend of Jason from Fantasea, and let me tell you, he's an awesome guide, probably the best one I ever had. Very patient, very profesional, also smiling, and very hard working person. My wife thinks he looks like Andre Agassi with his bold head and very very sexy... no comment from me... We did Dos Ojos, Temple of Doom, Gran Cenote, and Dos ojos again with my sister and her boyfriend who just got certified. It was my first time diving the Cenotes and I love it !!!! Visibility was incredible and the light show to die for. Luis took me to the "tunnel", which he called the canal of birth at Dos Ojos - Check out my video on Uncut.com - If you go to PDC/Tulum, I highly recommend you dive the Cenotes and get Luis, he knows them in and out....
We then spent 2 days in Merida, about 3 hrs away from PDC - We rented 2 cars and had no problem driving them day and night on the freeway and small roads despite all the warnings and bad stories you see on various posts. We visited Chichen Itza and Uxmal and those two are a must see if you are in the region.
The rest of our stay was in Cozumel, we rented a villa in downtown with a beautiful garden and swimming pool that can easily host 8 people - http://www.villaoasiscozumel.com/cozumel.htm - We paid $1500/week which given the location and the house is a pretty good deal... I did a 3 days package with Blue Angel (blueangel-scuba.com) - DO NOT DIVE WITH THEM !!!! I had the worst experience with this dive shop in my life - 1st day we arrive, at least 25 people from cruises were waiting for the boat. I thought it was a small dive shop, cater to experience divers, I was wrong. They shove you in a boat, push you in the water, wait for the first person to reach 800 psi, bring everyone back to the boat and home you go... No briefing, no debriefing, no "hi how are you doing", "what type of dive do you want to do", "what would you like to see...". It was miserable, and probably 100% due to our dive master Jorge who never put a smile on his face. I should have never dove with him again the next days especially after he stole our towel and pretended it was his.... Avoid him !!! You can spot him with his yellow drysuit .....
Now, after 3 horrible days, I decided to switch dive shop and went with Mestizo (Scuba Diving in Cozumel with Mestizo Divers - Cozumel) and dove with Freddy - What a change and breath of fresh air... Freddy is awesome, a retire local, who dove with Cousteau, with tons of experience and stories to tell... I highly recommend diving with him and his crew.
As for the dive sites in Cozumel, despite the bad experience with Blue Angel, the diving itself was incredible. Palancar, Santa Rosa, Paradise, Las Palmas, and much more... The best dive was probably at Punta, where we saw 3 nurse sharks, 1 green moray, and at least 6 groupers all in one cave, feeding on what we believe were some lobsters for 5 minutes inches away from them... Unfortunately I didn't have my under camera with me since I flooded it during a Cenote trip. But check out my Cenotes videos here Search for "mexico hoangtv" in UnCut Video

If you have any questions, let me know!!!

Adios Mexico...

I dove with Blue Angel in '06 and Jorge was our divemaster... my experience couldn't have been more different than what you described.

Nice videos SBM. Jason (Fantaseadive-great PDC dive op) arranged a dos ojos dive for me with Luis this past November. Your videos show it well. I'm going back to PDC this May for a repeat performance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom