Trip Report with Scuba Gamma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pdelannoy

Contributor
Reaction score
I just returned from the scuba trip of a lifetime with Scuba Gamma. I traveled to Cozumel with my wife, her sister, and some close friends. I was the only diver in the group. We chose to stay off the beaten path: which means that we avoided the all-inclusive hotels and the shopping malls.

We flew into Cancun and caught the bus to Playa Del Carmen ($9 per person). The ride takes about 1 to 1.5 hours. We missed a bus by a few minutes upon arrival at the Cancun airport and waited for 30 minutes at dock #2. There is a kiosk for the bus when you come out of customs.

When we reached Playa Del Carmen we loaded our stuff into one of the bicycle carriers and shuttled to the ferry terminal. I tipped the carrier $5. We missed the 6:30 ferry and had dinner at a restaurant within ½ block of the ferry terminal-$45. I changed money up the street 12.5 pesos per $1. We found that having both $US and pesos on Cozumel was best. I checked exchange rates on the island and except for daily fluctuations there was no difference changing at Playa Del Carmen. But don’t stop for this purpose. If we hadn’t been delayed I wouldn’t have bothered changing money here. There were numerous locations to change money on the island.

We caught the 8:00 p.m. ferry ($11 per person). On the island we stayed at the Tamarindo Bed and Breakfast (www.tamarindocozumel.com; $69-59 per night). The owner, Eliane, runs an awesome establishment-the rooms were clean and comfortable and breakfast included coffee, fruit, and some type of main dish. For the divers there is a place to rinse and hang your gear. I would stay here again in a heartbeat. Internet is also available. I will add that there are many other small hotel/bed and breakfast options in central Cozumel. We looked at rooms in several hotels near the town square that ranged from $40-$100 per night. If you want directions to Tamarindo you can PM me.

Not far from Tamarindo is the bakery, Zermatt. They had great pastries, bread, and coffee.

There are numerous restaurants in Cozumel. Many are in the square. My favorite lunch spot after diving was the Ambar (no food in the evening). Two beers and shrimp tacos for $10 plus tip. My favorite dinner spot was Casa Dennis (just east off the southern end of the square): good food and decent prices. For splurging my favorite was the Veranda on 4 norte.

I dove with Scuba Gamma (www.scubagamma.net) every day except one when the port was closed because of the norte winds. Scuba Gamma is a smaller operation owned by John Pierre and Danielle. I didn’t stipulate where I wanted to dive and chose to just let the week unfold. It goes without saying that the diving in Cozumel is extraordinary but the dive operation has a lot to do with your level of enjoyment. I was impressed with Sixto and Socrates who know the reefs well and who were so adaptable in dealing with the wide range of diving abilities that appeared on the boat each day. The Captain, Kikko (Jack Sparrow), seemed to know precisely where to drop us and was always there to pick us up. I could go on about all the animals I saw this week but there are already enough postings here about that. Scuba Gamma took excellent care of my needs and I dove every day including 4 dives on one day (one night dive). They also provided a combined trip so that my friends could snorkel while I dived. I will definitely return to Cozumel and dive with Scuba Gamma again. Anyone wanting more information can PM me.

Thanks to Scuba Gamma for a great diving experience.:D

PD

P.S. Please remember regardless of what dive operation you dive with to tip the boat crew. I tipped $5-$10 per tank as a rule and more on the 4 dive day. These guys work really hard for us and deserve it.

>> Tamarindo .... $69-59 per night <<

I'm glad you enjoyed Tamarindo. We've stayed there many times and also at Eliane's former husband's place Amaranto. Prices sure have gone-up!

When you're on the north-end of town you are also close to La CoCay, one of the better restaurants on the island.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom