Trip Report : Weda Resort - Halmahera - April 2019

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paolobl65

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I was in Weda Resort ( Weda Reef & Rainforest Resort - Best Diving and Birding in Halmahera ) Halmahera – Indonesia for a 12 days dive trip in April 2019 , and I’d like to share my experience .

Reservation :
I contacted the resort directly and discuss accommodation and diving . Payment possible on check out but I preferred to pay in advance so I get also discount 10% .

Get there :
I flew from Italy to Jakarta , stay some hours in an Hotel near airport and take late at night a direct flight to Ternate ( Halmahera Island ) landing the following day h 07:25 .
Pick up in the airport from the Weda staff and then 15’ by car + 45’ by speed boat + 2 hour 30’ by car so I arrived h 12:00 in Weda resort . Smooth and well organized .

Accomodation :
Very comfortable even without aircon because the roof leave the air to enter . I’d say is not a luxury bungalow as some other resort , anyway all what you need for a perfect diving vacation is well provided . Very clean room , confy bed with mosquito net , a large table to work with the camera , big bathroom with hot shower . A nice veranda to enjoy the sunset . And just few step from the diving and from the restaurant .
My only complain was the frogs were very noisy at night ! ( also becuase it was a lot of rain at night )

Restaurant :
the food was very good and plenty ! Lunch and dinner was in family style and fish , chicken and at least 4 vegetarian options were served every time .
Afternoon snack was served directly on the bungalow veranda ( this was a nice touch ! )
Wi-Fi works only in the restaurant and was just enough for some wathapps .

Birdwatching :
I'm not a big fan of birdwatching but it's worth an early woke up end join the expedition to see the Standard Wing Bird of Paradise in the jungle . A big professional monocular was setted up by the guide , so I saw wery well his dancing ritual . The guide had incredible eyes and he showed me many others birds I cannot count .

Diving operation :
2 dives in the morning starting on 7:30 for reef dive and 1 dive in the afternoon 15:00 usually for macro . Night dive available ( but 3 dives was more than enoug for me because 70-90 minutes each one ) .
Dive boat was very confortable , fast , semicovered , easy to get in and out , plenty of space , and also rinse tank on board for 2 big DSLR camera !
Snack on board , as well as water , coffee and tea . Great crew , as always in Indonesia , take care of all .
Group are small , max 4 divers for 1 dive master , but usually 2-3 .

Diving :
As underwater photographer I was there for wide angle photography and I was not disappointed !!!
No other dive shop around , no big boat transit ( just some small fisherman boat ) …. all the sea was only for us !
Even if there was a lot of rain at night during my stay ( unusual for the period ) the visibility was from great to excellent .
Anyway we had to dive mostly the off shore dive site ( Loleo , Tidore , Elmoos ) for best visibility .
Hope next time I will be there ( … and yes , I have to came there again for sure ! ) I'll be able to dive the dive site close the coastline .
Macro dive was also good with some dives really "muck style " on sandy slope in search of mimic octopus and frog fish .
Very special dives were Gorango and Shark Mountain in early morning . So many fish !
Dive condition was perfect : flat sea , warm water ( 29-31°C ) , great visiblity , none to moderate current . Great snorkeling possibility as well and fantastic shallow part of the reef .

It was really a great experience : one of the best place I ever dived for reef and coral , and very good fish life as well , ..... anyway more than thousand words I think it is better to show you some photos :

47980798697_bc683856f2_c.jpg

47980882448_795f6c5e06_b.jpg

47987321501_8d20c54c4d_b.jpg

47980609863_97c6b0218f_b.jpg

47981081441_ec34f70b24_b.jpg

47980492727_d6ec1a6c88_b.jpg

48031857681_d4be154b58_b.jpg

48002361856_878e34346c_c.jpg

47980300156_4bc1a88e96_c.jpg

48014757528_44f6b959b6_c.jpg

Dear Paolo,
thank you so much. Amazing photos. We hope you will find the time in future to visit our Magic Bay Rao resort too. Great for wide angle. Both the landscapes with canyons and caves and huge schools of fish. Although we also have Flamboyant Cuttlefishes and even hairy Frog fish at the sandy shores.

Excellent report Paulao, thanks for writing it and sharing it. Your photos are incredible !

Magical shots! Thanks so much for sharing

Nice shots!

Where were the big fish?

Hi Dan , thank you for your comment !

No mantas because the water was very clear .
Anyway I saw many shark during the dives but not close enough to take decent photos .

At shark montain dive site there was a lot of shark and close as well but it was very dark , because early morning , deep and no sun , so autofocus didn't work .... very sad of this .

this at 1/25 sec F 5,6 so you can understand how dark was there :

47980233907_281e88237e_b.jpg

thanks for sharing your trip report...excellent photos..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom