Trip Report Video from Tampa Bay | Spearfishing May 28, 2019

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CuzzA

Wetwork for Hire
Reaction score
Another Gulf Reaper Production from our trip earlier this week.

Out today 5/28 on the Ruckus. Headed off of St. Joseph Sound northwest 30 miles to 80 fsw scouting some new territory which did not pay off. Seas were a solid 2 foot short interval chop heading out, but quickly laid down to nice 1 foot flat rollers which made for great cruising to cover some ground. Unfortunately all the ledges on the scouting trip were blown in with sand (likely due to Hurricane Irma), so we went ahead and dropped on a nearby tug wreck which produced one fat lionfish and sightings of the to be expected usual wreck residents, a couple overfed fat nurse sharks, big rays, cudas and jewfish. One beefy gag on the wreck. Viz was excellent, 40 ft.+ horizontal.

We moved to the parking lot off New Port Richey in 50 ft. and found viz deteriorating to about 20 ft. and the closest spot from shore had the beginnings of gumbo, also the warmest at 84 degrees. Not very fishy in the area and several bull sharks made their presence known. I was buzzed twice, Amanda had one come under her and try and take a Mackerel she just shot. On the following dives Rich and Amanda picked up two bulls that were more aggressive and began circling them, forcing them out of the water.

We decided with the lack of fish and number of sharks, to move north off Hudson in 50 ft. and those spots were much more fishy and I was able to pick up 5 mangos and 3 "nice" hogs. Two mangos came on one shot in a hole which always puts a smile on a spearo's face.

All in all, a good day on the water, but not without a lot of effort. Looking forward to the Tampa Bay Spearfishing Challenge in two weeks. Middle Grounds is the target.

BTW, enough with the damn mylar balloons. We picked up four Memorial Day balloons 30 miles offshore. It's unacceptable. Stop putting fertilizer on your lawn and wasting all that water. Unless you're eating your fancy grass, it literally serves no purpose, but to pollute our oceans. Stupid.

Don't forget to subscribe to my YouTube Channel for more great videos.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK-N_8o_AerlrbvhsnbTNoQ

.... One beefy gag on the wreck...
Here today, gone this weekend, lol

Nice viz and accurate shots. Glad you guys hit the nice conditions and thanks for the video !!

Thanks for the update Cuzza. I'm headed out with some friends out of Clearwater Pass tomorrow afternoon. Red tide was rough on the local hogfish population, so I'm glad grouper season will be open. :)

Also, if you ever have room for an extra, I'm up for it. ;-)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom