Trip Report: USCGC Spar and Suloide

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BobbyT22

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all. I made a trip down to Morehead yesterday and wanted to leave a quick note on the dive. I dove on the SeaQuest with Discovery Diving and the trip was to the Spar and Suloide. Conditions were fair with the usual 2-3 foot seas offshore on the ride out. On the Spar vis was a pleasant 40 feet, with temps 76 degrees top to bottom. Tons and tons of sand tigers and lots of other large marine life to include barracuda and amberjack to go along with dense swirling schools of smaller fish. I was concerned the visibility would be poor due to the churn from Earl, since a diver who did the same dive the previous day reported only 15 foot visibility, but luckily the vis improved significantly by the time I dove the next day. The Suloide had the same conditions, but a few degrees cooler (73) since it is out of the Gulf Stream closer to shore. So bottom line, great dives, temps are bathtub warm and vis is settling down after the hurricane. I took some great shark video (well for me anyway) on my little camera, will post a link when I get a chance. It is basically shark after shark after shark, and if you have seen one sand tiger you have pretty much seen them all, but is was really cool to experience first hand.

Rob

Rob,

Great report. Morehead City diving is some of the very best and there's LOTS of Dive Operations to pick from. Glad you had a good time.

Safe Diving,
Wil

I dove it the same day with Tortuga charters and it was a great dive, exceptional conditions and plenty of sharks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom