Trip Report - Turks Caicos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RJM55

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

I have been a member of SB for quite a while, this being my first post. Before I get into the details, I want to thank the many who have posted trip reports before, the information was invaluable in planning several dive trips.....

Now, a little about my family's week in the Turks and Caicos. First off, lets talk about the diving. We did 6 dives with Provo Turtle Divers, 2 in Grace Bay, 2 on the Northwest Point, and 2 in West Caicos. As far as the sites go, all were beautiful. Our group saw an abundance of reef sea life, eel's, sharks, and some beautiful corals. By far, of the areas we went, Aquarium West was the best. For sheer beauty, T&C lives up to the billing, the walls are world class. My only regret was we didn't get another day of diving in before we left.

With regard to PTD, the owners Dave and Melinda were both very nice and Mark, the DM was also just a great guy. They are very knowledgable about the area and generally helpful with the guests. As a guide, Mark was great pointing out the various sea life and sights along the way and was very patient with the less experienced in our group.

A couple of general observations, the boat was small and with 15 divers and crew can get a little crowded. Dave does his best to keep things very organized and orderly getting in and out of the water which does help. Also, several in our group required rental equipment. Their rental gear was old and appeared to not be serviced regularly (fin's ripped, reg's sticking, and bcd's with inflator probs). Would definately recommend thoroughly examining your equip before you get on the boat (you should be doing that anyway!!!)

Overall, PTD is a very good operation, especially for experienced divers who are looking to go with someone who really knows the area and the best sites. If you are an inexperienced diver, let them know in advance so they can put you in a group with similar abilities. Most of the dives are wall dives with no reachable bottom. As several of the other threads on here have pointed out, those type of dives can be very dangerous for the less experienced. One last thing, Dave's artistic briefings are almost worth the trip alone....hehe (if you have seen one, you will understand the humor there).

Now a little on the island itself. We stayed at Ocean Club West and for our group (8) it was perfect. The room was clean, well kept and the view of Grace Bay out of this world. Also, the price was right (under $3k for the week). The beach is one of the top beaches in the world and after my first beach walk, I can understand why. Beautiful white sand beach stretches for miles and at least in June, is relatively uncrowded. If you are into 4 star, OCW may not be the place for you (try Grace Bay Club), but for a comfortable clean place right on the beach, it was perfect. Also, PTD has a small shop in the resort if you need to take care of reservations / changes etc.

The food, as many have reported before is up and down. Some of the local hangouts, Calico Jacks, Big Bamboo, Da Conch Shack, and Horse Eyed Jacks are nice (the last 2 were on the beach), but the food was so-so. For the most part, if you are on the beach in any of the "locals" hangouts, you are there for the view, not the food. CJ's and BB's food was better, but no atmosphere at all. We did try Hemingway's and Mango Reef, both of which were exceptional. Food was fantastic and service impecable. Our waiter at Mango Reef (Jean Luc) was superb, would recommend requesting him by name. Price points were a little high, dinner for 3 was $250 US but if you are looking for a great night out, either would be perfect.

Other than that, typical island expenses can be expected. Groceries, gas, and beer are pricey ($15 a 6-pack), but thats pretty normal in the islands. There are 2 grocery stores, the IGA on Leeward Highway and another in Grace Bay. The IGA has a bigger selection, but prices are the same.

As far as a vacation spot, for divers and beach goer's it is paradise!! If you are looking for other adventures (hiking, biking, horseback riding, etc.) its all there if you take the time to look for it. If you are going soon, stop and see Jean Luc at the Mango Reef, your dinner service will never be better and look out when Dave pulls out the colored markers, its an adventure in artistry!!! Hope this was helpful to anyone headed to TCI.........

Thanks for the report! My wife and I also enjoyed the islands.

Nice report.

Glad you enjoyed it! My husband and I just took a very similar trip last month.. also staying at OCW and diving with PTD. We had a fabulous time but unfortunatly didn't see any sharks. We also enjoyed the drawings that Dave did and took pictures of them so that we can include them in our photo album.

I will also recommend Mango Reef. I'm not sure of the name of our waiter but the service and food were both excellent. It was our favorite meal of the week. I can't wait to go back!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom