Info Trip Report Title Prefix and Forums

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Akimbo

Just a diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
A "Trip Report" title prefix is now available in geographic and travel related forms. Example:

upload_2021-2-1_8-1-51.png

This is the first step to fulfill @ontdiver's suggestion: Should There Be A Forum Dedicated to Trip Reports?. After much deliberation and offline experimentation, the next step of creating a Trip Report Forum will be part of the next upgrade to ScubaBoard due to new administrative tools.

The conundrum is that many members feel that trip reports should remain in the forums they are created in. Others want to see them all in one forum. The upgrade will allow us to create a new forum populated with links to threads with a "Trip Report" prefix, much like the New and Recent Posts views. This image is from an offline experimental prototype in a Trip Report forum with search results:

upload_2021-2-1_8-2-34.png

Note that the forum the thread exists in is listed in the above links.

This prefix is available now for new threads. Please use the Report function in existing trip report threads so the moderators can add the prefix tag.

A "Trip Report" title prefix is now available in geographic and travel related forms. Example:

This is the first step to fulfill @ontdiver's suggestion: Should There Be A Forum Dedicated to Trip Reports?. After much deliberation and offline experimentation, the next step of creating a Trip Report Forum will be part of the next upgrade to ScubaBoard due to new administrative tools.

The conundrum is that many members feel that trip reports should remain in the forums they are created in. Others want to see them all in one forum. The upgrade will allow us to create a new forum populated with links to threads with a "Trip Report" prefix, much like the New and Recent Posts views. This image is from an offline experimental prototype in a Trip Report forum with search results:

Note that the forum the thread exists in is listed in the above links.

This prefix is available now for new threads. Please use the Report function in existing trip report threads so the moderators can add the prefix tag.
Can I search for all items with "Trip Report" as a tag? Or search for any tag, for that matter?

Can the red "Trip Report" buttons be added (retroactively) to the previous trip reports? I have several of those reports here in SB.

The upgrade will allow us to create a new forum populated with links to threads with a "Trip Report" prefix, much like the New and Recent Posts views.
The Trip Report forum will be auto generated and view only? So reports and responses will still go into the correct geographic forum and just be mirrored in the Trip Reports "forum" if they have the tag?

Thanks for the tip! I'm slowly reporting all of my past trip reports.

The Trip Report forum will be auto generated and view only?

Think of the future Trip Report forum like the New or Recent Posts view. It will contain links to the threads in the forums where they reside. It will be fully interactive just like a normal thread... because they are normal threads. The Trip Report forum just contains links that look a lot like the links in the New Posts "view".

Can I search for all items with "Trip Report" as a tag? Or search for any tag, for that matter?

Not with the current ScubaBoard search function. The option to search on a title prefix is included in the upgrade we are working on.

You can search for the text string "Trip Report" on search engines like Google and Bing, once they have time to update their results. Example: site:scubaboard.com trip report

That will give you links to every post on ScubaBoard containing the word trip and report anywhere in a post, not just the thread title. You can narrow it down a little by searching on site:scubaboard.com "trip report" which will display posts with the phrase: trip report

Just an idea to ponder upon:
It would be nice to have that red button "Trip Report" to be on top of the regional sub forum for quickly screening out the pages of threads and filter up just the Trip Reports for that region. I had to wade through 12 out of 122 pages of The Pacific Region before I found my Palau trip report.

Just an idea to ponder upon:
It would be nice to have that red button "Trip Report" to be on top of the regional sub forum for quickly screening out the pages of threads and filter up just the Trip Reports for that region. I had to wade through 12 out of 122 pages of The Pacific Region before I found my Palau trip report.
That has crossed my mind as well. By placing all trip reports in a subforum, you can search on Palau within that specific forum.

Back
Top Bottom