Trip Report Trip report - Southern Cross Club, Little Cayman, June 2019

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diversmith

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Went to Little Cayman for 10 nights at SCC June 1 thru 11. Had an excellent experience and just want to pass on some details for those who might be considering LC and/or SCC.

Wife & I went sans kids...our 2 boys stayed with Grandparents so we were looking for peace & quiet, relaxation and great diving. We got all 3 in spades!!!

Just some quick background so you can get a feel for what we look for. I'm a fireman & my wife is a stay-at-home Mom. I work hard for my money and am looking for a good return on our investment when vacationing. We are not high class "foodies", nor are we boozers. We just want good quality meals and we have a few cold ones after the diving is done. Usually in bed kinda early to be up rested & ready to go diving. Definitely NOT demanding, Four Season's-type people. I'm a former PADI instructor who certified my wife, so I always look after her and always take care of our own gear unless the staff beats me to it. I don't really care about "valet" dive service, I just want a clean boat and some snacks & fresh water.

I posted last summer about our stay at Bohio in Grand Turk and the issues we had there and the generally poor customer service we experienced (you can find it in that forum). Long story short, SCC blew the doors off of Bohio! The customer service, food quality, room quality, and countless other little things were head & shoulders above Bohio. Now granted, SCC does cost more, but when you factor in paying for dinners, it really isn't that far off when comparing the same number of dives. At Bohio we had the plan that included fixed menu breakfast & lunch, but no dinners or non-alcoholic drinks for lunch & dinner. SCC includes what is basically all-you-can-eat plus juices. They alternate buffet dinners & plated service with multiple choices for app, main course & desert. We can't remember anything we didn't really like (I think I gained 4 pounds on the trip!! lol). Plus, the head chefs were always stopping by the tables to check on our satisfaction which was a great extra touch.

The on-site dive op was great and there was plenty of room in the dive hut for drying gear. All of the divemasters were very friendly & helpful. The 36' Newton was always clean, well stocked and had plenty of room even if there were more than usual on the boat. We dived a good variety of sites and had very thorough briefings with a lot of topography & fish ID info given. They seemed to let everyone dive their computers and never gave us a hassle over staying down 60-75 minutes each dive. We are usually first in & last out & like to max out time U/W. After having some dives close to LCBR boats a couple of times, it appears they dive in bigger groups...we were always divided up into smaller groups which was great. Lots of great experiences with nurse sharks, big/friendly Nassau groupers, spotted eagle & southern rays, turtles of all sizes, lots of big lobsters & crabs. Tons of huge sponges and really cool swim-throughs.

The rooms are pretty nice...a little bit rustic but pretty well maintained and definitely clean. and you can see where they have upgraded different things. Plenty of towels, soaps, conditioners etc. Beds were comfy and pillows were pretty good. There was a little bit of a mix-up regarding our choice for upstairs/downstairs and they went out of their way to "fix it" by offering us the "honeymoon suite" at no charge for the last 3 nights! We ended up staying in 3 different rooms and they were all great. The outdoor showers were amazing as was being right on the beach/water and having the patios to relax on.

Top to bottom, the staff were all very friendly & helpful. The newer/ish pool was really nice, kept extremely clean and was always the perfect temp. Unlike Bohio, the collection of beach cruisers with handy baskets were all in excellent condition, and the paddleboards/kayaks were all in good shape & very serviceable. The grounds were kept clean and it always seemed very quiet & mellow.

Now for the bad!
The Sargassum weed influx was pretty bad. A lot of it came into the sound and the beach was packed with it. It didn't affect diving on Bloody Bay Wall but the south side was pretty bad. Don't plan on swimming at the beach! You can, however, kayak over to Owen Island and enjoy the great beach there. Since the pool is so nice, it wasn't that big of a bummer for us. It made us chuckle a bit because at Bohio, the beach was so spectacular but the pool looked like it had a red tide. At SCC, the beach had the red tide but the pool was perfect! Figures! LOL! But...this is abviously not the fault of SCC.

This is a total nitpick, but the SUPs could use some new deck pads.

Sooooo...all in all...we highly recommend Southern Cross Club! It's obviously not the cheapest place to book, but it was definitely worth it to us. Feel free to ask any questions & I'll be glad to help out.

Thanks for the candid trip report. We don't get a lot of reports about Southern Cross. So, much appreciated and thanks for taking the time.
I was curious about the number of boat dives on offer each day and roughly what time they depart. Thanks again.

I think because it is a pretty small resort and the fact that there are so many repeat customers you don't see many reviews here. One lady diving with friends was on her 27th trip to SCC!!! I think that says something!

There was always a 2 tank trip in the morning and they would do either an afternoon, dusk or night dive if they got the minimum # of divers needed to do another trip out.

I ended up doing 23 dives in 9 days of diving.

Another thing to note that is a great thing...they are very flexible with moving dives around in your packages. I borrowed some of my wife's dives since I was over the 20 on my package, and she did 16. They will apply the less expensive morning dive credit towards the more expensive afternoon/evening dives.

Hi @diversmith

How did you decide to go to SCC as opposed to LCBR or Pirates Point?

Kind of figured/heard there would be a lot more people/divers at LCBR. And that turned out to be correct. Looked pretty nice though.

Didn’t consider Pirates Point...didn’t look to be as nice as what we were looking for going as a couple. Going with the buddies trying to get the best deal? Probably would be fine. We rode the beach cruisers down there looking for shirts. It was just ok. You will be taking the van down the road to catch the boat if that also matters to you.

SCC is very quiet & low key. That’s what we really wanted.

LCBR is a lower price point. The trade off is 18 divers on the 42-46 foot boats. Not a big deal but for me, just not worth the cost differential. Have stayed at both over the years and nothing to complain about with either resort or dive op.

LCBR is a lower price point. The trade off is 18 divers on the 42-46 foot boats. Not a big deal but for me, just not worth the cost differential. Have stayed at both over the years and nothing to complain about with either resort or dive op.

The Club at Little Cayman is another option where you can have a more private condo/resort accommodations, at a higher price, but you will still be diving the same dive boats with Reef Divers.

We have visited Southern Cross Club and it looked very nice, small, quiet and private; but we are very happy with LCBR and it is offered at a more attractive price - to us, anyway.

The Club at Little Cayman is another option where you can have a more private condo/resort accommodations, at a higher price, but you will still be diving the same dive boats with Reef Divers.

We have visited Southern Cross Club and it looked very nice, small, quiet and private; but we are very happy with LCBR and it is offered at a more attractive price - to us, anyway.[/QUOTE

Kathy...we actually had a couple on the boat that were staying at The Club that spent 2 or 3 days diving with SCC. I'm not sure how that place works out on price...never researched it. They also had some meals at SCC so not sure of the details, but I guess it can be done. Maybe it depends on SCC's occupancy numbers.

The Club did look very nice & it is a very short walk down the beach from SCC.

Doctorfish...That's why I post reviews here. I like to paint a picture of who we are & what we are looking for, and then how it all panned out for us. It probably helps a lot of people plan future trips.

It was the situation with our very honest review of or Bohio/Grand Turk trip last summer. There were a number of people saying "no big deal to me" but there were also a number saying "thanks! I'm going to look elsewhere if that's how things truly are".

My wife & I have had wonderful trips to Occidental Grand/Coz, Wananavu/Fiji, Anthony's Key/Roatan & a couple places in the Hawaiian Islands. We only caught a very bad time at Park Royal/Coz and some serious issues at Bohio. And even then, the great diving made it worth it!

Also to note...the food & drink prices at the local stores were crazy high! If staying at one of the condos, you really need to be aware of just how much food & drink will end up costing you overall. Anyone who has been there already will obviously know this but for the first timers trying to weigh options, it's good to know.

We bought some beers & Prosecco to keep in our mini fridge and drink on the patio & our little section of the beach, and while still cheaper than buying at SCC, it was still stupid expensive.

Back
Top Bottom