Trip Report - Solo trip to Scuba Club Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

elora_c

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Just a little background first - I first dove during a resort course in the BVI 8 years ago. 3 years ago I did another resort course in TCI. I finally got my OW and AOW last year, and then dove for 2 days in Grand Cayman. Unfortunately, my family doesn't dive and we aren't doing a family beach vacation this year. I really wanted to dive, so I looked for a relatively inexpensive, safe place to dive. Cozumel came highly recommended. Being solo, and not outgoing, and in a strange country, I wanted some place with onsite dining. And since I was just there to dive, I wanted lots of diving. Thus, Scuba Club Cozumel.

I booked a 5 night/4 day diving + 1 wreck dive with Carradonna. Customs was quick, and then a very short drive to the hotel. The hotel is very clean and well maintained feeling. Check-in was fast. The room is small, but certainly more than large enough for one person to relax in. I was in room 12 (second floor) and had a nice view of the pool and ocean. I checked in at the dive center and then walked into town to explore a little before dinner. I was a little worried about the dining as I'm fairly picky and wasn't sure about the Mexican cuisine, but I left full from every meal.

Diving started at 8am the next morning. I was a little nervous as I hadn't been diving in a year (though I did take a refresher), but the boat crew (I was on the Reef Star) were outstanding. They helped setup the gear if you needed, and took care of it between the first and second dive. I had Ariel as my DM on all 9 days and he was excellent. He gave a good briefing before each dive. I didn't have a buddy, so I tried to stay up at the front of the group near him. And he was excellent at pointing out things. I have no idea how he kept spotting the camouflaged marine life. Buddy pairs would ascend as one ran out of air, but he stayed until the end. I have very good air consumption, so always ascended with him (generally it was just me, him, and one other diver) and would still have about 1000 PSI after 50-60 minutes. I actually would have been worried, I think, if I had to ascend early as you would just rise to the surface and have to wait for the boat to spot you. At least he had a sausage signal. The dive boats were great at following us, though, and were always right overhead at the end.

We dove Palancar Caves, Chankanaab, C53 wreck, Colombia, Punta Tunich, Santa Rosa Wall, Yucab, Dalila, and Tormentos Reef. Lots of large sea life, neat swim throughs (I'd never done that before), interesting coral. There were a couple of flats that were a little boring, until the shark, or ray, would swim by. The wreck was my first wreck dive, and was fairly difficult. Not really for inexperienced divers. But lots of large crustaceans to be seen.

My only real complaint was the lack of afternoon dives. They put out a signup sheet every morning, but if they don't get enough divers, they don't do the dive. I signed up every day, but only once was there enough, and that was for the wreck. I didn't have anyone to shore dive with, so I spent the afternoon walking to town, and then looking longingly at the ocean. I'm also not a great fan of the drift dive. Yes, it is effortless (mostly) and you cover a lot of territory. But it is difficult to stay in one place if you are trying to get a good look at something. And with 8-9 other divers all trying to take a look at the same thing before getting pulled away, it gets crowded.

All in all, I had an excellent time. I would probably make this my solo dive destination... except for the lack of afternoon diving. Since this trip is all about the diving, I will look for somewhere else for my next trip. Possibly somewhere else on Cozumel if I can find somewhere that guarantees 3 dives a day, and if I can find somewhere with as convenient diving as SCC.
zL3AslTOppPAt1KsBbpxWhCnvO4d06-NI3F1V3wKPXo

cD7oK0Ue27c1kCu_8OShpE4xdmKs79I7O7aiThaiVmI

7w81FX8oa4tgaxLOLD7E3eMw1S80HkChQRDpAFLcEHg

S21qDDnNhtxd-vzBEKJPbBv-M8GGaeNF9qhUGA_-aII

Enjoyed your report and pictures. Seems like a balanced review, with detail relevant and useful to a prospective traveler considering that operator.

In time to come, you might pursue solo certification and you don't require a buddy, but that's many dives into the future. It would've gotten you some shore dives.

Richard.

I actually would have been worried, I think, if I had to ascend early as you would just rise to the surface and have to wait for the boat to spot you. At least he had a sausage signal.

Can you tell me if I'm understanding you right?
Did the DM not send up an SMB (sausage signal) for early low-on-air divers who did not have one of their own? They would have to ascend without any surface signal at all?

Too bad you couldn't hook up with anyone doing shore dives in front of the hotel. I frequently dive solo at SCC; water is only 19 feet deep off the pier - if you get in trouble, stand up!

Too bad you couldn't hook up with anyone doing shore dives in front of the hotel. I frequently dive solo at SCC; water is only 19 feet deep off the pier - if you get in trouble, stand up!

Your height must be at least 20 feet.

Thank you for the report, I will likely avoid SCC in future as I like to do lots of boat diving and save the shore diving for after 3 boat dives a day (one late afternoon and night) for a total of 5 dives a day... yeah I am hardcore. Not having an afternoon boat dive would annoy the heck out of me.

Can you tell me if I'm understanding you right?
Did the DM not send up an SMB (sausage signal) for early low-on-air divers who did not have one of their own? They would have to ascend without any surface signal at all?

I've done a lot of dives where the DM did not send a marker up, it's not all that uncommon. I carry one of my own and will send it up myself if we're not close together....

You should be able to comfortably surface by yourself, do a safety stop, listen for boats, surface, check for boats and use a SMB at the appropriate time. That may be at your safety stop or once on the surface.

You should always have an SMB or preferably a DSMB with you on a drift dive.

Much easier for the boat to spot you when you have deployed a DSMB before your safety stop.

You should always have an SMB or preferably a DSMB with you on a drift dive.

Yes, you should, but every boat I've ever been on there has been at least one person who didn't have an SMB at all and relied on the DM to send one up for them. It seems like one of the jobs of a DM is to make sure that people get to the surface safely. Every dive I've done in Cozumel, if needed, the DM would deploy an SMB for any OOA/LOA divers and make sure they got picked up safely, whether the DM surfaced with them or not.

I know that Skittl1321 always has an SMB of her own and her buddy deploys his for both of them before they reach the safety stop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom